Sony Nd filter

sacgsxr

Rookie
Wondering if anybody can recommend a good nd filter. Cheesycam had some which could be held on by magnets, but they are sold out with no eta on new stock. I have see the YouTube video where they use doublesided tape but really liked the cheesycam ones. Curious what everyone else is using. Thanks

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Bruce,

Thats my take on it. Lensmate is always the first to come up with something for these little cams. It would have been niceif Sony put an internal thread somewhere around the lens barrel.

sacgsxr said:
Yea i saw that, but aren't the carryspeed filters out of stock?

Their first batch has sold out.

I pre ordered mine so it should be in sometime this week. I love the opportunity to use whatever filter I want.

BruPri said:
So I looked at that thread and it still doesn't make it clear how this all attaches to the lens barrel, are these people supergluing things to their camera?

If you check the filter makers web site you'll see that you put a small thin metal ring on the front of the lens. It is affixed with a 3M adhesive and is easily removed if required. The magnetic part of the filter attaches to this.

Got it, thx Keven. So the upshot is that people don't especially like those magnetic filters but have adapted them to allow others to screw onto the front of the glass which they've removed...

BruPri said:
Got it, thx Keven. So the upshot is that people don't especially like those magnetic filters but have adapted them to allow others to screw onto the front of the glass which they've removed...

There have been concerns about the quality of the second lens in the filter. In the example the guy made, which I am copying, he uses a 46-49 step up ring. He uses only the magnetic ring and red base of the set up, attached to the step up ring, then uses 49 mm filters. If I am not mistaken he is essentially doing away with the filter, keeping only the attachment mechanism. You can then use any filter you like screwed onto the step up ring.

Sounds like a plan and i would like to do the same thing. Did you preorder the ring from the link on cheesycam? Can u please post the link of where u were able to preorder.

I'm not sure how this is any different than the Lensmate solution. It sticks on the camera as well, and then any lens can screw onto the adapter. Unless I'm missing something.

Sounds like a plan and i would like to do the same thing. Did you preorder the ring from the link on cheesycam? Can u please post the link of where u were able to preorder.

I ordered from their website NEW MagFilter CPL (Circular Polarizer) Filter by Carry Speed | Carry Speed Store which I don't see a way to pre order either.
I thought I had pre ordered but maybe I just got in at the right time to get one from the first batch.

I'm not sure how this is any different than the Lensmate solution. It sticks on the camera as well, and then any lens can screw onto the adapter. Unless I'm missing something.

A matter of preference I think. I prefer the idea of easily removing the complete assembly, minus the virtually un noticeable attachment ring. With lensmate, the attachment ring uses a mechanical fastener with the filter and thus sticks up from the lens about 2mm. No doubt it will do the job as well.

I just like the thinner profile of the magnetic holder, but may get the other out of necessity.

Back