Fuji ND filter

Watch out on the Vari-NDs, especially the cheaper ones. I have a super cheap Neewer Vari-nD that looks surprisingly good on the 23/1.4...no visible image degradation, even at 6 stops of filtering.

Put it on my 56 in bright sun and it's awful. Massive loss of sharpness and it creates horrible artifacts in the bokeh. Not sure why the dual personality, but worth noting.

I'm going to pick up a nice 2 stop ND multicoated from B+W or Hoya and use that for bright day shooting at wide apertures.

Good comments. Whilst I trust Hama, I have never used a vari- before; it came up on a search for an ND2 so I thought I would give it a try ;)

Sent from another Galaxy

a fader can be so helpful when you absolutely don't want to carry more than one filter. what you really need to watch for is the x-phenomena when you're near max nd.

i happen to have a 62mm, previously, for video stuff. this one fits both my xf23 and my xf56. i took it out with the xf56, yesterday. if you want a good one, i've never been disappointed with Light Craft Workshop brand.

(Sent from another Galaxy via Tapatalk.)

My understanding (which may be incorrect) is that one aspect of how fast a lens can focus is how much light it can gather during the time of focusing, which is why focusing slows down or switches to contrast detect in lower light scenarios. Obviously if its bright enough to require an ND filter there is still quite a bit of light available, but does the focusing of any of these ultrafast lenses like the 56mm f1.2 or the 23mm f1.4 slow at all when you place an ND filter in front of them?

Depends on what you need it for. Circular polarizers IMO work better for bright light.
my cpl was definitely not going to let me shoot my 56 wide open under this bright, overcast condition especially with the snow still around.

My understanding (which may be incorrect) is that one aspect of how fast a lens can focus is how much light it can gather during the time of focusing, which is why focusing slows down or switches to contrast detect in lower light scenarios. Obviously if its bright enough to require an ND filter there is still quite a bit of light available, but does the focusing of any of these ultrafast lenses like the 56mm f1.2 or the 23mm f1.4 slow at all when you place an ND filter in front of them?
i'm not sure what criteria the fujis switches to cdaf. but let me find my link i posted in a thread i made for examples of the xt1's predictive af tracking. it shows the conditions i was in, and you can check exif for details of exposure. in aperture priority, my fader helped me bring my shutter speed below 1/4000.

edit: you guys are both in there. lol

(Sent from another Galaxy via Tapatalk.)

Back