Fuji ND Filter

I've always used Marumi filters which are great. However, they don't carry ND filters that are more than 3-stops (except their vari-ND which you don't want to use on an UWA). At 12mm or below, if you have more than 2 stacked filters (or if either filter is thick), you'll get some ugly vignetting. I know others prefer the Lee fiters but I have no personal experience.

I've tried the Haida 10-stop and found the color casting to be too warm for my taste especially with long exposures. I know the Hoya persion is another popular and not costly brand (unlike the Singh Ray ones).

I bought a Nisi 3-stop ND + CPL and it's great and gives off what is in effect 4 1/2 stops but does not have a front filter thread. You can always stack it onto another filter but you can't put one (or the lens cap) in front of it.

I use Hoya NDX400 (8 2/3 stop) or Tiffen 1.2 (4 stop) filters on my X 10-24mm with great success. No appreciable color cast. I do get a tinge of vignetting at 10mm but I am using a 72-77mm step down adapter (pre Fuji lens was 77mm). I doubt there would be any with a 72mm filter. Here are a few samples:

Both piggybacked to give me a 13 stop increase in exposure
uhupeqyq.jpg

Hoya 9 stop
eny7yrej.jpg

Tiffen 4 stop
yga3eva3.jpg

Tiffen 4 stop
eve2a9ug.jpg

I would highly recommend either filter. I was able to purchase off eBay for significant savings.

Randy
Ohio

I'm guessing it'll depend on what you want to do, if you are going to do long exposures on a full time basis then you'll probably best to invest on a Grad ND filter set, I've see the results from Cokin and Hoya and they seem to be a good brand, albeit rather expensive in my opinion.

If it's for the occasional long exposure you can just get a variable ND filter, they're quite versatile and affordable.

I'm just playing around some long exposures these days and I use a Hoya variable ND that gives me up to 8 stops, I also have a NiSi ND 1000 that has 10 stops, I stack them now and then depending on how much stops I want. I find both brands to be good and doesn't give any colour cast to the images.

Back