Filters ND filter

lucien

Legend
Hi I went to shoot with an # 2 ND filter yesterday and all the shots were overexposed. I can post samples later. What did I do wrong? My only guess is the auto iso.

DSC_0889_00001.jpgDSC_0890_00001.jpgDSC_0891_00001.jpg

2 of them are 3 tenth's and the 3rd one is 1 second.

auto iso, image (1) 34mm, F9 , 3/10 seconds iso 100

image 2 34mm (f13) 3/10 seconds iso 100

image 3 34mm( f11) 1 second iso 100

image 4 34mm (f11) 30 second iso 100

I thought the exif would show up in the post

auto iso, image (1) 34mm, F9 , 3/10 seconds iso 100

image 2 34mm (f13) 3/10 seconds iso 100

image 3 34mm( f11) 1 second iso 100

image 4 34mm (f11) 30 second iso 100

I thought the exif would show up in the post
ISO seems to be settled at 100 on each photo. Wich modes did you use for aperture and shutter speed, auto or manual?

An ND2 is not filtering much light -- only one stop's worth. Did you just enter some manual exposure settings to your camera expecting the ND filter filters any amount of light?

Let the camera meter automatically with the filter on.

An ND2 is not filtering much light -- only one stop's worth. Did you just enter some manual exposure settings to your camera expecting the ND filter filters any amount of light?

Let the camera meter automatically with the filter on.
This is/was my first time out using an ND filter. Everything was a trial/error

This is what I wanted. But with the dreamy water. Buttery effect. I have a 4 pack of filters from 2-16. Why would Auto iso have an effect. At that length of exposure you would always come out at 100. But I could just set it to 100 manual. Something I didn't think about

DSC_0897_00001.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

This is what I wanted. But with the dreamy water. Buttery effect. I have a 4 pack of filters from 2-16. Why would Auto iso have an effect. At that length of exposure you would always come out at 100. But I could just set it to 100 manual. Something I didn't think about

View attachment 324174
Auto iso had no effect here; in auto mode, iso will increase when less light is touching the sensor. Too much light was entering. Your shutter speeds were too slow to achieve correct exposure. But correct exposure with a ND2 filter wouldn't give you the effect you wanted, it's not dark enough.
To obtain the "buttery effect", you will have to try a more dark ND filter.
The easiest way to do it is aperture priority mode: fixed iso setting, fixed aperture setting and auto shutter speed. Or you can try all manual settings, reducing the shutter speed if your image is overexposed, and increasing it if the image is underexposed (trial/error). You can also take a well exposed photo without a filter and then compare your settings with the cheat sheet Martin is referring to and choose your settings according to the filter you want to try.

Should have read your response first. But it all ties in together. I'll head back out next weekend and give it another shot.
I have an app on my phone I should have referred to. It's for taking long exposures, had forgotten all about it. I'll try the ND 10 next time for 10 sec, 20 sec and 30 sec and turn off the auto iso. Although I don't think that's a factor. At that length it would come out to 100 anyway.

The apps. I have were for infra red filters, esp the 720nm one ; they are somewhat related to ND filter's. Cousins maybe lolz. Thanks for the replies, I think I got it. Will post results if positive

Should have read your response first. But it all ties in together. I'll head back out next weekend and give it another shot.
I have an app on my phone I should have referred to. It's for taking long exposures, had forgotten all about it. I'll try the ND 10 next time for 10 sec, 20 sec and 30 sec and turn off the auto iso. Although I don't think that's a factor. At that length it would come out to 100 anyway.
It would be easier to set aperture priority mode and then try different ND filters to see how much "buttery effect" you like...

Just one more word: in manual mode, in you viewer or your screen you should see an exposure indicator telling you if you image will be over, under or correct exposed. It should help to avoid errors...

I use that on my Sony camera. What a pain, it slows down the capture time. The Slt A65 is mirror less or semi translucent. I shoot the A65 in manual because Aperture priority doesn't work the way it should. I had a 70-30mm on and it was giving me shutter speeds of 1/60, 1/50 even with steady shot turned on the images would be blurry. I guess your seeing what the sensor sees, which requires alot of adjustments. I'm used to my prisms.

I use that on my Sony camera. What a pain, it slows down the capture time. The Slt A65 is mirror less or semi translucent. I shoot the A65 in manual because Aperture priority doesn't work the way it should. I had a 70-30mm on and it was giving me shutter speeds of 1/60, 1/50 even with steady shot turned on the images would be blurry. I guess your seeing what the sensor sees, which requires alot of adjustments. I'm used to my prisms.
If I'm not mistaken, on a reflex camera there is a metering system to choose correct exposure, in auto and semi-auto modes. The same metering system can inform you of your exposure in manual mode.

Your correct, I'm referring to the Sony slt. I see the exposure guide through the viewfinder on the D7500. It's correct most of the time. Nikon has a good metering system. I can't speak for the other. And I don't use auto modes maybe I should lolz. The only thing I leave in auto is the ISO because I can't be bothered changing another factor

Back