Fuji ND filters on Fuji X-E1

deanmessenger

Regular
Name
Dean Messenger
After messing around for past few months with a hama ND 2-400 variable ND filter ( which though listed as 9+ stops is closer to half that ) ive been researching Big 10 stoppers.
depending on your flavour ( screw mount or cokin type square) there are a few on the market.
obvious big names, Lee big stopper, B&W, Singh ray ( only go to 6 ) Hitech and one i had not heard before Haida.
well turns out over the weekend when meeting up with several other photographers in London for some late evening/night shooting one of the people had the Haida 1000 ( ND 3.0 ) and have to say its a quality piece of glass for a budget price. The 58mm thread version for Fuji 18-55 comes in at around £30 ( compared to around £50 on ebay for the B&W equivalent ) and uses the smae glass from same factory as B&W and Heliopan filters.
just a few specs here

Constructed from high quality Schott glass for optical clarity.
Digital water proof and scratch resistant multi-coating offers both protection to the glass and helps to improve light transmission and image quality.
The slim filters are specifically designed for use with wide angle lenses.
High quality aluminum filter ring helps to prevent jamming and provides additional strength.
The multi coating features:-
Anti-glare
Anti fouling (repels oil, water etc)
Scratch resistant
The filter ring is coated using an Anodic oxidation matte black to greatly reduce reflections

just wondered if anyone else had shot on there fuji with a 10 stopper and would like to share there comments/thoughts/results

are you looking for something quick? i used to like faders, but always hated the X towards the dark end. and if i'm going to take the time to set up for long-exposure shots that require a bit more time, i'd go for something like a Lee Sev5n (seven5). otherwise, i'd just stack some ND filters.

but yeah, curious to see what 10-stoppers anyone has used on their fujis.

(Sent from my EVO)

Back