Near Misses

Name
Mark
We all share our best images but what about the ones that got away, the almost-but-not-quite shots? I'd like a little reassurance that I'm not the only one who has those Homeresque 'Doh' moments. Here's my latest.

For the last couple of weeks I've been trying to get a pic of one of these little visitors to our back garden. They're so quick and twitchy that they're either gone before I get to the camera or fly off at the slightest quick movement so capturing one soon became a personal challenge. I thought I'd got my first decent shot until I loaded it on to the Mac, cropped it and realised that our dog had 'been' there first. So close.....
2022-03-17 09-29-19.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Have you done better / worse? 'Fess up, let's see them

Last edited:
We all share our best images but what about the ones that got away, the almost-but-not-quite shots? I'd like a little reassurance that I'm not the only one who has those Homeresque 'Doh' moments. Here's my latest.

For the last couple of weeks I've been trying to get a pic of one of these little visitors to our back garden. They're so quick and twitchy that they're either gone before I get to the camera or fly off at the slightest quick movement so capturing one became a soon personal challenge. I thought I'd got my first decent shot until I loaded it on to the Mac, cropped it and realised that our dog had 'been' there first. So close.....
View attachment 298605
Have you done better / worse? 'Fess up, let's see them
The famous philosopher, George Carlin, once said, "People always say they had a near miss. Why do they say 'a near miss'. A near miss is a hit. If you nearly missed something, that would mean you actually hit it !"

That aside, your image above seems to be the perfect candidate for a crap crop. Crop the crap out and you're left with the crop, which will make the bird very happy since it depends on it's crop to eat.

The famous philosopher, George Carlin, once said, "People always say they had a near miss. Why do they say 'a near miss'. A near miss is a hit. If you nearly missed something, that would mean you actually hit it !"

That aside, your image above seems to be the perfect candidate for a crap crop. Crop the crap out and you're left with the crop, which will make the bird very happy since it depends on it's crop to eat.
I believe it was Jack Nicklaus that said “I hit a good putt. It just didn’t go in.” Something similar probably applies to photographers.

Have the regulations changed much since that incident?
I don't know, 2010 was the only time we've had off shore power boat racing locally, sadly one of the competitors died in an incident just after I'd left.
It probably isn't anywhere near as close as it looks - telephoto perspective shortening is quite significant at 1500mm equivalent focal length (the shortest this lens reaches on this camera). I think another couple of race boats may have come closer judging by the white trails either side of the sail boat. In any event NOT a spot any sensible skipper would have sail!

Back