Near Misses

IMGP2525.JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Thanks Ben, I'm not disappointed. I was too close and it was unexpected. I think the bird was inside the minimum focus distance too. That's how the ball bounces sometimes. Once you learn behavior, shots like this can be pulled off. Duck behavior is pretty easy to predict for example.

These two very nearly ended up on the cutting room floor (i.e. deleted in camera). However they are two of my favourite photos of our two darling girls (RIP 2021).

Both taken with them sitting on my chest while I was lying in bed in the morning. Very tricky getting them in focus. Live View to the rescue, when Olympus was one of the only few cameras to have this 'gimmick' (per DPR ...) in 2008.

Lovely Lizzie:

E-510_JAK_2009-_7305209_Ew.jpg

And Ravishing Rosa:

_9052863_E.jpg

I took my X-S10 with the XF50 on a walk the other day. I tried to take a picture of a stream but realized there was no card in the camera. After cursing, I looked to the right and there was a heron in the stream, maybe 30 ft. away. I looked through the lens just to confirm I had a perfect shot. That bird just stood there like it knew I was defeated. :dash2:

George Carlin once described a 'near miss' as a 'hit'. Expounding on that by saying if he nearly missed something, he hit it. It frustrated him when the term was used to describe a close call in aviation. If two planes had a near miss then they must have collided...but they nearly missed one another.

I don't know if any of that applies to missing focus on 33 1/3 % of the deer in this shot, but it appears I nearly missed focus on the other 66 2/3%.
deer three.JPG

Last edited:
Back