Need a carry camera

I have finally been convinced to use the camera in my Note 8 as... well.. a camera. My favorite take anywhere camera was my Leica X1, and I regret selling it. But when I was let into a Buddhist temple in Luang Prabang to pay my respects to the Buddha, it just felt wrong to turn it into a photo shoot. So I left the Pen F with the Panasonic 20mm on it it my hip bag and took a couple of discreet shots with the cell phone. The Pen would have given me more to work with, but I am happy to have this phone shot, straight from the phone as shot, of this exceptionally beautiful sim.

One thing to be said for current phone camera
20180824_130135.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
s, they are a lot better than the disc, 110, and other abominations for the masses of several years back.

Last edited:
Looks right on my Note and Tab S3. I hate it when something that used to work all of a sudden doesn't, you know, like after Windows 10 updates, albeit those have gotten better.

I gave up trying to work out which settings controls the image mode on my ipad/iphone.
My neck hurts a lot more but I have no migraine.

I have finally been convinced to use the camera in my Note 8 as... well.. a camera. My favorite take anywhere camera was my Leica X1, and I regret selling it. But when I was let into a Buddhist temple in Luang Prabang to pay my respects to the Buddha, it just felt wrong to turn it into a photo shoot. So I left the Pen F with the Panasonic 20mm on it it my hip bag and took a couple of discreet shots with the cell phone. The Pen would have given me more to work with, but I am happy to have this phone shot, straight from the phone as shot, of this exceptionally beautiful sim.

One thing to be said for current phone cameraView attachment 185897 s, they are a lot better than the disc, 110, and other abominations for the masses of several years back.

This is exactly why the traditional point and shoot market is nearly dead. You have cameras in your phone that are becoming more and more capable and a phone is much less obtrusive.

(Image looks perfect on my laptop)

Although my Note 8 hasn't replaced a pocket camera, I use it a lot, especially when taking photos to send to people right away. I consider it a backup camera for when I can't access or bring a dedicated camera. Low light is where cellphone cameras fall down, and I take a lot of low light images. If I had a Panasonic CM1, with its 1 inch sensor, then I'd consider using that as a replacement for a pocket camera. Too bad they don't make them any more. :crying:

I'm not sure if the OP has picked a camera yet, but I'm having some success with the Panasonic LX10. Although the image quality isn't the best in the outer edges, it ticks so many boxes for a belt pouch/large pocket camera. In fact, I bought a fairly neat Lowepro belt pouch which is perfect for it, and there's a cheap black silicone skin on eBay which improves the grip and handling immensely.

The OP also mentioned the GX85, which I've also acquired, and it is a cut above the LX10 in overall image quality, noise handling, dynamic range and colour. The tilting screen is a boon and the video is great at 4K and 1080p. In-body stabilization of the GX85 is better than the LX10's, too. The problem is that it's a lot bigger than the LX10, especially with any lens bigger than the Panasonic 14/2.5.

I am sooooo behind you folks. My dilemma for my next trip to the US is which film travel camera to take with me: Bronica, F100, Minox 35, Minolta Freedom Dual, FE2...
Seriously. I am done shooting digital this time around.

I'd love to take a film camera on my next trip, but I'm already tanked up with digital cameras. M9 with three lenses, GX85 with at least two, so a film camera seems superfluous. But in the back of my mind, I'm thinking of putting my Contax T3 in my pocket, or leaving the GX85 at home and bringing my lovely old Pentax ME and 28/2.8 and 50/1.4 SMC Pentax-M lenses instead!

No I have not picked up a carry camera for one reason or another and my long time interest in film is one of them. I have not been able to give time to film or any of my photo equipment lately. I do not have a small camera save one, the XT20 which I'm about to sell along with a few lens I don't use, but this will never happen with my film equipment. It gives me calm just holding it, so this is in the future for me. More time for film. In the meantime my XT1 will stay with the 16 and 18-55 and I will finally commit to a 12mm Roki or Samyang instead of just trying them out and sending them back.
The Canon G7 X II, or something with similar specs has everything I need for a carry. I don't want a super zoom. 24-100 or 125 will be fine.
These are the things I want to accomplish by the end of the year.
Edit: One thing the G7X doesn't have that I do want is weather sealing. So that's probably a deal breaker.

Last edited:
Although my Note 8 hasn't replaced a pocket camera, I use it a lot, especially when taking photos to send to people right away. I consider it a backup camera for when I can't access or bring a dedicated camera. Low light is where cellphone cameras fall down, and I take a lot of low light images. If I had a Panasonic CM1, with its 1 inch sensor, then I'd consider using that as a replacement for a pocket camera. Too bad they don't make them any more. :crying:

I'm not sure if the OP has picked a camera yet, but I'm having some success with the Panasonic LX10. Although the image quality isn't the best in the outer edges, it ticks so many boxes for a belt pouch/large pocket camera. In fact, I bought a fairly neat Lowepro belt pouch which is perfect for it, and there's a cheap black silicone skin on eBay which improves the grip and handling immensely.

The OP also mentioned the GX85, which I've also acquired, and it is a cut above the LX10 in overall image quality, noise handling, dynamic range and colour. The tilting screen is a boon and the video is great at 4K and 1080p. In-body stabilization of the GX85 is better than the LX10's, too. The problem is that it's a lot bigger than the LX10, especially with any lens bigger than the Panasonic 14/2.5.

I travel light on camera gear. I don't want to be this guy at the family functions

CIMG3233-cameras.jpg

No I have not picked up a carry camera for one reason or another and my long time interest in film is one of them. I have not been able to give time to film or any of my photo equipment lately. I do not have a small camera save one, the XT20 which I'm about to sell along with a few lens I don't use, but this will never happen with my film equipment. It gives me calm just holding it, so this is in the future for me. More time for film. In the meantime my XT1 will stay with the 16 and 18-55 and I will finally commit to a 12mm Roki or Samyang instead of just trying them out and sending them back.
The Canon G7 X II, or something with similar specs has everything I need for a carry. I don't want a super zoom. 24-100 or 125 will be fine.
These are the things I want to accomplish by the end of the year.
Edit: One thing the G7X doesn't have that I do want is weather sealing. So that's probably a deal breaker.

Hey, Tim. I was initially going to suggest the G7x II because it almost sounded like a perfect fit - but it most definitely does not have weather sealing. Ray Sachs, a thoughtful photographer whom I admire, got a series of truly fine photos from its predecessor, the G7x (1st generation) which he both posted here, and wrote about extensively as well.

But there is one camera I will suggest to you. Unlike either the G7xII or the LX100 (or its sequel, the LX100ii), all of which have or had relatively fast (f/1.7 or f/1.8) zoom lenses, this camera has a slower lens (f/2.8 at the wide end of the zoom). But it IS weather-sealed, it's compact, it has a fairly new and excellent 24mp sensor, and as a plus, it has a small but truly excellent EVF) -

I bought one around a week ago and so far, it has more than exceeded my hopes. I was looking for a very high quality pocketable camera to replace a few other fine cameras I've shot with (the Ricoh GR, the Coolpix A, the X70) - and though it's marginally larger, it is still eminently jacket 'pocketable'. Build quality seems fantastic to me, and my initial results with the lens (which some reviewers have panned) are surprisingly good.

It's a tad on the pricey side now but lightly used ones are appearing (the one I bought was lightly used), and I suspect Canon may lower its prices in the same way that Nikon eventually wound up lowering its prices on the Coolpix A, which initially was just too expensive for many of us.

The only other camera I'd partially recommend would be the Olympus TG-5 - weathersealed as well and with an interesting macro capability (due in part to its small sensor). I owned one and shot with it for awhile but ultimately let it go mainly because its images couldn't really compete with the GR or Coolpix A quality that pretty much spoiled me. But that aside, it's a fine and totally pocketable tiny camera, and it doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

Good luck. I know from my own experience that finding the right small camera for me has been a circuitous and sometimes long and rocky road.

Miguel I have looked at the Olympus and marked it off because I was afraid of the IQ and the G7 has the perfect zoom range and a fast lens for what I shoot. I have decided to get a water tight bag to take with me for rain events. I just keep coming back to it over everything else so I will make it work I believe. Now to find a protective bag. It never ends lol.

Back