Sony Need advice for a lens please

andylee

Hello,

Can someone please point me in the direction of a suitable lens if there is one. I feel overwhelmed lol

I have a Sony zv e10 with a Sigma 16mm f1.4

I love the way it performs at night (which is why i got it) but i use it for vlogging and exploring abandoned places.

My issue is its cropped way more than id like with stabalization on.

Ive tried no stabalization and used catalyst browse, it crashes and freezes... i then found gyroflex which works but also crops way too much and isnt practical for long videos like mine.

So with that said... does anyone know a good lense for my needs?

Is there such a lense as 10mm f1.4?... i assume that would be ideal?

Why not use a gimbal? It'd solve the stabilisation issue as well as providing a bit more distance. And it'd allow for the use of slower lenses as well (Sony's 10-20mm f/4 PZ is a congenial lens for something like the ZV-E10).

Viltrox have a 13mm f/1.4 that is reputed to be very good, though. You can also go super-small with the Laowa 10mm f/4, but that's manual focus. And, of course, slower.

M.

Last edited:
Why not use a gimbal? It'd solve the stabilisation issue as well as providing a bit more distance. And it'd allow for the use of slower lenses as well (Sony's 10-20mm f/4 PZ is a congenial lens for something like the ZV-E10).

Viltrox have a 13mm f/1.4 that is reputed to be very good, though. You can also go super-small with the Laowa 10mm f/4, but that's manual focus. And, of course, slower.

M.
Ive tried a gimbal but didnt like the feel of it, i do a lot of looking up and down and just didnt feel right with how i had to move it. I guess it would be great for outdoors though.

Would there be a big difference with the Viltrox 13mm?

I think i read the sony zv e10 in stable mode crops 1.5

16mm x 1.5 = 24mm
13mm x 1.5 = 19.5mm

Did Sony release a 10 or is it11mm lens recently? that would give near the field of view of the 16 in unstabalised mode. The reviews seem to be positive so it could be worth a look and its AF too.

Did Sony release a 10 or is it11mm lens recently? that would give near the field of view of the 16 in unstabalised mode. The reviews seem to be positive so it could be worth a look and its AF too.
Just been watching a review on it. 11mm f1.8

I really think that could be the one for me. Seems to look good cropped with stabalise on.

BTW other than gopros this is my first camera so all this is new to me....

Will f1.8 still be good at night?

This lens i have atm (f1.4) seems like it can see in the dark better than my eyes lol

Just been watching a review on it. 11mm f1.8

I really think that could be the one for me. Seems to look good cropped with stabalise on.

BTW other than gopros this is my first camera so all this is new to me....

Will f1.8 still be good at night?

This lens i have atm (f1.4) seems like it can see in the dark better than my eyes lol
You loose two-thirds of a stop - i.e. the amount of light reaching the sensor is somewhat smaller. In terms of performance, this means you may have to raise your ISO values more often to keep things feasible. Since the ZV-E10 shares the APS-C sensor of Sony's A6*** line, you're good up until at least ISO 3200, so this shouldn't be a serious concern. You're also intending to use an ultra-wide lens (I had forgotten about the 11mm - it's actually the best option of those mentioned for what you have in mind IMO) which further alleviates the problem.

That said, electronic stabilisation is always somewhat lossy, and apparently considerably so in the case of the ZV-E10 (1.5x crop - argh!); you have to decide for yourself if that's okay with you; it may be for video, but I personally wouldn't put up with it for stills. Of course, YMMV.

While I got out of the E mount a while ago, I might have reconsidered if the 10-20mm f/4 were optically stabilised (or the ZV-E10 had in-body stabilisation). But ... well.

M.

You loose two-thirds of a stop - i.e. the amount of light reaching the sensor is somewhat smaller. In terms of performance, this means you may have to raise your ISO values more often to keep things feasible. Since the ZV-E10 shares the APS-C sensor of Sony's A6*** line, you're good up until at least ISO 3200, so this shouldn't be a serious concern. You're also intending to use an ultra-wide lens (I had forgotten about the 11mm - it's actually the best option of those mentioned for what you have in mind IMO) which further alleviates the problem.

That said, electronic stabilisation is always somewhat lossy, and apparently considerably so in the case of the ZV-E10 (1.5x crop - argh!); you have to decide for yourself if that's okay with you; it may be for video, but I personally wouldn't put up with it for stills. Of course, YMMV.

While I got out of the E mount a while ago, I might have reconsidered if the 10-20mm f/4 were optically stabilised (or the ZV-E10 had in-body stabilisation). But ... well.

M.
Thanks for the input :)... i think im going to get this 11mm lens. Ive been watching many reviews and looks perfect for my needs 👍🏼

Back