Need Help Making Final Choice

Photorx12

Regular
I've narrowed down my choice for a point and shoot to the S95, XZ-1, and LX-5. Can you guys give me some advice on which one to pick based on your experiences with these cameras.

I only own the X100 and got rid of my GF1 to make room for the upcoming EPL3. I enjoy doing street photogragy and candid shots. I am looking for a good camera that will perform well in dArk situations such as weddings or for events such as going to the circus with nephews. Size is not an issue simply because I'm used to bigger cameras already. Performance in dark and picture quality are my priorities. Thanks in advance, I'm sure I will receive good feedback.

Not meaning to be a pain, but the X100 is so good in low light... Is it that you want the powers of a zoom?

P.S. I should add that I still have my LX5 and it is a great camera... Have you read some of the threads in this forum: Panasonic/Leica ?

I have a S95 - very capable camera, and much more pocketable than the LX5. Good battery life, nice menu system and the control ring on the lens is a joy to use...

I tried the Leica D-Lux 5 and XZ-1 and bought the XZ-1. In RAW the IQ is better and I liked the way the XZ-1 handled better. I'm disappointed to say this but the XZ-1 is even better than the IQ of my Ricoh GRD3 (with one caveat - the XZ-1 has distortion at the wide end in RAW).

The XZ-1 has been a real surprise for me. Like any small sensor camera it has tradeoffs, but within those boundaries it is a fantastic camera.

Martin and I are very much aligned...I think our kits are almost identical. (y)

I had an LX5 and didn't much bond with it (the controls are small and I found them all in the wrong place :blush:) also the IQ wasn't what I would have liked above ISO400. I'd sworn off zooms and then recently picked up the S95......and simply love it. Pocketable (although I note this is not on your criteria), great controls and very decent IQ for the sensor size - better high ISO performance for my eye and money. I also reckon the function ring is a revelation (well if you'd never seen a camera before 1970 ;))...so highly recommended. I got some nice shots from the little unit in low light, but concede that on the zoom end the f-stop tightens up sharply.

I think you might get a vote for the XZ1 from Colette as soon as she stumbles on this thread....

So on paper the XZ1 looks like it might fit your bill with the faster lens and function ring controls. From my subjective experience, I can help you with 2 out of 3 and would place the s95 above the LX5 on your list.

Depends on your priorities. For low light at anything other than the wider angles, the XZ-1 is the best choice simply because the aperture stays wider longer as you move through the zoom range. I've owned the S90 (virtually identical to the S95 for stills) and the LX5 and I'd say the LX5 is far better for street photography just because its much quicker in operation. You can set it up for hyperfocal shooting and snap away without any shutter lag at all. The S90, even in manual focus and set for hyperfocal, has a notable shutter lag which I found endlessly irritating. I don't know how the XZ1 does for quickness and street shooting - never used one. To me the only really clear advantages the S90 had were the size (definitely smaller and more pocketable) and nicer jpegs than the LX5 (if you shoot jpeg - a non-issue for me). The XZ1 is similar to the LX5 in size but most people like Olympus jpegs just as much as Canon jpegs, if not more. So, all a bundle of tradeoffs. For street shooting in half decent light, I'd go with the LX5. For low light, jeez, THAT'S what your X100 is for - NONE of these cameras will even approach the X100 in low light, not even CLOSE!

You already got rid of the GF1? Wow, I thought I turned cameras around fast - I just sold a GH2 I bought in February! I can't hold a candle to you!

The three cameras you're looking at all have strengths and weakness, all are really fine cameras that blow away anything available even close to that size a few years ago, so you won't go too far wrong. But depending on your intended use, one might be clearly better for you...

-Ray

I love my LX5, feels good in my hands and Ive always been impressed with the shots I've captured with this little camera. I played with my mum's XZ-1, image quality was good but it didn't feel so comfortable in my hands as the LX5. Can't comment on the S95, never seen one. All the reviews you read comparing these three cameras put them all at about the same level so I don't think you would go wrong with any of them. You should nip to the shops, try them on for size and see which one you are most comfortable holding.

Hmmm, you might not know the word nip, I mean go for a quick visit.

First let me thank all of you for your input and advice. i considered all things said by each of you and even went to play with the cameras as suggested (glad I did). After palying with them i first eliminated the LX-5 mainly because for some reason i just did not not the way it felt in my hands (personal thing). After playing around with the the XZ-1 I was very impressed, but felt that it was closer to the EPl-3 which i plan on getting. So as much as I liked it I felt there was no point in getting it. The S95 did what I did not expect, and that was make apreciate how compact the camera really is. It also felt very sleek yet sturdy. And after seeing all the pics in this forum I decided to give it a shot.

I am so impressed with this little camera....I took two quick pictures before charging the battery and I am already in love. not X100 kind of love, but love non the less. I can't wait to take it out for more pics to really test it out. here are the pics I took.
IMG_0011-Edit.jpg

IMG_00121.jpg

Time to update that signature line, Alex!:D Congratulations on your new little pal the S95! You already knew that good things come in small packages - as evidenced by your Pug.;)

I am not familiar with that brand, but they would no doubt work also. If you search around here and elsewhere, you will find a high percentage of happy Franiec grip users. His work is top shelf, and he mills his products from aircraft aluminum. After you install them, they look like they were part of the camera from the start. He makes the grip for several cameras and he participates in several threads related to his product over at DPR. You can also find some related video on YouTube.

help please..

Im just a beginner and owned some cheap and cheerful p&s ... but i just want to move a step further and im considering these cameras before getting more serious cameras... i just want to experiment with these cameras first, but im also going to use one of these cameras i buy as my primary camera too, and i dont want to experiment with the pics i take with my family because if i mess it up i cant get the exact moment back:tongue:...... i will use raw but mostly i prefer the direct jpegs for normal pics...i hope you understand my problem and can u please help me with your veiws..
....size is not an issue for me because i will only be carrying this one camera most of the time till i get a dslr..

Back