Need help understanding LR presets

Name
Todd
I am using Lightroom (not Lightroom classic) however this behavior seems to be the same on both platforms (I have LR Classic but only use it as a DAM).

In LR there is a preset called "Adobe Color + Lens + NR" (it is in the Basics/Defaults folder in LR and in Defaults in LrC). It seems to use some level of intelligence in setting the NR amount; low NR for most photos but increasing NR for noisy photos. This is a great feature since LR does not otherwise have the ability to set NR based on ISO like LrC does.

But here is the problem. The preset must be applied before any other edits as it wipes out all other adjustment. I thought maybe I cold get around this by applying the preset and then saving a new preset with everything except Profile, NR and Optics checked. No-go; the newly created preset lacks the "intelligence" of the original preset, it simply applies the NR setting used on the photo used to create the preset. No matter how I save it as a new preset it looses the ability to automatically adjust the NR level.

I would love to use this preset in my workflow but having to apply it at the very front of the workflow is fairly limiting. Am I missing something? Surly to goodness there is a way to modify this preset so that it doesn't overwrite all other edits.

Thanks,
Todd

I am using Lightroom (not Lightroom classic) however this behavior seems to be the same on both platforms (I have LR Classic but only use it as a DAM).

In LR there is a preset called "Adobe Color + Lens + NR" (it is in the Basics/Defaults folder in LR and in Defaults in LrC). It seems to use some level of intelligence in setting the NR amount; low NR for most photos but increasing NR for noisy photos. This is a great feature since LR does not otherwise have the ability to set NR based on ISO like LrC does.

But here is the problem. The preset must be applied before any other edits as it wipes out all other adjustment. I thought maybe I cold get around this by applying the preset and then saving a new preset with everything except Profile, NR and Optics checked. No-go; the newly created preset lacks the "intelligence" of the original preset, it simply applies the NR setting used on the photo used to create the preset. No matter how I save it as a new preset it looses the ability to automatically adjust the NR level.

I would love to use this preset in my workflow but having to apply it at the very front of the workflow is fairly limiting. Am I missing something? Surly to goodness there is a way to modify this preset so that it doesn't overwrite all other edits.

Thanks,
Todd
Todd, it's always been my impression that LR is a far more constrained editor than Bridge + ACR + Photoshop.

However, I could never really get along with LR, from its very first release, so am definitely NOT any kind of expert in its use.

One of my main issues with it is that every image needs to be imported, then stored in its database, and needed to be exported if you wanted to manage your images yourself, for backup etc.

Todd, it's always been my impression that LR is a far more constrained editor than Bridge + ACR + Photoshop.

However, I could never really get along with LR, from its very first release, so am definitely NOT any kind of expert in its use.

One of my main issues with it is that every image needs to be imported, then stored in its database, and needed to be exported if you wanted to manage your images yourself, for backup etc.
John, on my Mac the imported images are stored (raw files plus the LR XMP files) in the Pictures folder. So I just back up that folder. If I want to export an edited file I generally do that to Photos and Google Photos. This is Lightroom Classic of course, not Lightroom.
Lightroom (both versions) have come a long way in editing in recent years, especially with the flexibility you now have for masking. Personally I have never got on with Photoshop so it's down to what you feel comfortable with!

Thanks,
Todd
Todd, I believe you can create adaptive presets in Lightroom Classic that would set different NR levels based on ISO. Colin Smith's excellent Photoshop Cafe web site has instructions (IIRC) for creating such presets.

Todd, I believe you can create adaptive presets in Lightroom Classic that would set different NR levels based on ISO. Colin Smith's excellent Photoshop Cafe web site has instructions (IIRC) for creating such presets.
Thanks Martin. LrC does have the ability and has had the ability to apply NR based on ISO and has had for many years. I used it regularly in LRv6 until my cameras were no longer supported. I moved away from LR for quite some time after that. I now have the Photography Plan that includes LR, LrC and Photoshop.

Much to my surprise I prefer the cloud based version of LR to the old LrC for editing. The ability to move from desktop to laptop to tablet seamlessly (without having to switch drives or sync catalogs and such) is fantastic. There are a few drawbacks though, a few features available in LrC are not available in LR.

Until recently I was under the impression that NR based on ISO was one of them. Then I discovered the built in preset (not under adaptive presets) “Adobe Color + Lens + NR” this preset does increase NR based on something, presumably ISO. It is not user controllable (or even clear to the user what criteria it is using) but it does work. The problem is it MUST be applied before anything else because applying this preset resets EVERYTHING. I thought resaving it as a partial preset would be the answer but for some reason that option breaks the original functionality.

If no one has any better ideas I’m considering two options.
1. Use LrC first to apply NR based on ISO then transfer to LR
2. Set my default import in LR to include the preset

Thanks John. I have seen some of your posts concerning Bridge. Based mostly on your recommendation I tried giving it a go as my DAM. Unfortunately I just never gelled with it. I may have not had it set up correctly but it seemed like every time I wanted to do something it was slow because it was doing something in the background. It also seemed like it’s search function was considerably less powerful than LrC.

I don’t find LrC’s import function to be troublesome at all and it doesn’t impact backup or file management in any way. Your original files stay wherever you had them, when LrC “imports” them all is does is create a reference in it’s database, it doesn’t move your files (unless you are importing new files from an SD card). You are still free to back up those files any way you like outside of LrC. If you move files into or out of the folders that LrC has in it’s database outside of LrC all you have to do is tell it to sync the folder and it will square the database with what you did. In fact if you completely moved your entire directory of pictures to another drive LrC Would tell you the pictures are missing and give you the opportunity to tell it where you put them.

For my DAM I used digiKAM for a number of years, then moved to Bridge for about a year, now I have the full Photography plan that includes Lightroom Classic and, for me, there is no comparison, LrC offers the most powerful, versatile DAM. Isn’t it nice we are blessed with all of these great choices.

Thanks,
Todd
Ok. I got a partial solution before I got too tired last night. If you apply the Adobe preset, and then create your own preset based on that with just lens correction, profile and NR, you can stack that on top of other presets. If you make two edits for images with different ISOs it's also then possible to create an ISO adaptive preset. However I haven't been able to test whether that would then use any intelligence to vary the amount of NR. I suspect notl

Back