Feedback Need Serious advice! What to put with the Olympus 45mm 1.8 lens?

thekeddi

Top Veteran
Hi guys!

I'm in a transition stage again and want to get back to micro 4/3rd stuff.

I am definitely getting the Olympus 45mm 1.8 lens and would like to get advice on the best camera body to go with it at a reasonable price?

I like the look and feel of the Panasonic GF3 but would like some expert opinion on this matter as I have no idea really.

There are only so many flickr and forum photos I can look at!! hehehehe

Please help! I'm not fussy on second hand stuff either, saves me money and I might be able to get extras at the same cost :)

In the middle of this year I briefly had an Olympus E-PM1, and the main reason that I bought it was to pair up with my then new 45/1.8 as a quick-and-compact portrait/short telephoto camera (in addition to my E-M5) for the Medieval Festival that happens north of Brisbane every year. The following link has images from both cameras from the Festival but they are labelled and include exif info so you can tell which camera took each image.

Fluidr / Nic (Luckypenguin)'s "Abbey Museum Medieval Festival 2012" set

I would be inclined to use the new E-PM2 in the same situation now since it has the E-M5 sensor, touchscreen, and a couple of extra buttons that were sorely lacking in the E-PM1. If you're not looking to spend that much money the E-PM1 can be bought for less than $300 including a kit zoom, and the E-PL3 (with flip-up screen and more buttons) probably around $300 body only.

anything you use it with will be great. I loved it on the original E-P1 which can be had pretty cheap used. I threw it on my old G1 and it focused quickly on that old body as well. Stabilization is not likely a big deal at that length and being that "fast".

Agreed... any micro four-thirds camera will be just fine with the 45mm f/1.8. But, given a choice, I'd go with an Olympus body - preferably latest generation - to get the very best out of that glass. If you can't swing an E-PM2 right now, then maybe an E-PM1 or E-PL3.

I also think it is worth stretching to an E-PM2 or E-PL5 to get the new sensor if you can. I think it is a noticeable step up from the previous generation sensors. Also, not sure on pricing in Oz, but here in the US the Panasonic GX1 has been discounted pretty heavily.

Back