Fuji Need the last nudge before purchase. How happy are you with your X-E1 ??

LOL... Good points ! Well (and Kevin sorry about that) but I "shoot moving children". And still ones, too. And dogs. I understand there will be limitations (maybe even serious ones) with that camera. If I decide to pass on the deal, I'm gonna keep agonizing over it for a while...I guess if I can be happy with the overall performance of the X10, the X-E1 couldn't be *that* far off ....

Well...the X10 has convinced me that some sort of Fuji X body is in my future. Of course something to remember is that it's easier to overlook things that don't suit you in a $350 camera than a $1200 one. I know the more I pay for something the more critical I am of it. I think it's a great camera and more than a few times I have thought about getting one. The IQ is superb and if you can live with the limitations (and all cameras have them) then I agree the risk is pretty small. BUT...AF speed has been THE thing that you have come back to again and again and it seems to be what ultimately the thing you are missing/wanting. If the NEX7 had fast AF would you still be looking at the Fuji?. If I had to guess AF speed and DOF are the main two things you look for in a camera. Mind you I'm not saying don't buy the XE-1 I'm just saying you should try one out (if even just in a store) before you buy it because fast AF is not something that any of the current Fuji X bodies (the interchangeable lens ones is known for). If the X100s had a FL you liked better I think you would have grabbed one because of the promised super fast AF. If that's the case I would say be sure about the AF on the XE-1 before you commit to buying one unless you have the opportunity to return it.

However I also know that sometimes you just gotta scratch that itch. So I look forward your reports on the XE-1 because it'll be very helpful to me in sorting out if I want to make that jump later on.

Kevin, the very good question was, if the NEX had fast AF would you still want the Fuji, and the answer is...
YES !!

I've used several Fuji cameras in the past, DSLRs and compacts, and have always liked them. The X bodies just seem to be one notch above everything else, as good as the other cams may be. The NEX 7 is really a sweet camera but it doesn't come close to the desirability factor of the Fuji in my eye..

Well Sony finally did release the lens I wanted, but I couldn't find it in store, and though a good lens it's far from getting the same delirious response the Fuji 35 does....

yea but it's no pancake (like the samsung 30mm) and lacks the charm/build quality of the fuji 35mm (and the 1.4, but the sony has IS)

it's less sharp then the fuji too

the panasonic 25mm 1.4 is prolly beter then the sony 35mm too

Yep, from many reviews, tests, pictures (and my own very extensive experience with the PL). I'm reading the Fuji is among the very best 35 lenses available, ANY system included. The Sony is probably good and fair but not on par. The Panaleica 25 that I know very well is probably between them, closer to the Fuji. The PL is up there with the best lenses I ever used. And I agree there is no a single good looking E mount lens in existence IMHO ;)

Kevin, the very good question was, if the NEX had fast AF would you still want the Fuji, and the answer is...
YES !!

I've used several Fuji cameras in the past, DSLRs and compacts, and have always liked them. The X bodies just seem to be one notch above everything else, as good as the other cams may be. The NEX 7 is really a sweet camera but it doesn't come close to the desirability factor of the Fuji in my eye..

Then I think you've answered the question yourself. UNLEASH HELL!!! Fuji XE-1 it is...black or silver? I like the black myself..very stealthy.

I find that no matter many questions you ask, there comes a point where the only way to really know is to try it for yourself.

Oh yes, that's why if I can arrange a meeting with the seller, I'm gonna give it a go. Will resell if I don't get along with it, but considering what my little X10 can do...

This is my favourite collection of images I have seen so far with the X-E1. Of course he had some ridiculously good material to work with :)

chris sorensen - portrait & travel photographer - india

Wow those are stunning. THANKS!! I like them much better than for example the studio portraits by Damien Lovegrove which are great buy not that interesting to me. The colors on these shots are just gorgeous. I'm going to take my dogs for a walk and spend some time looking at these. THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!

What I liked about them in particular is that they are a perfect example of the travel/documentary style of photography that I would love to do more of. They definitely put the X-E1 on my radar, although obviously the camera's role is secondary by a long way compared to the subject material.

What I liked about them in particular is that they are a perfect example of the travel/documentary style of photography that I would love to do more of. They definitely put the X-E1 on my radar, although obviously the camera's role is secondary by a long way compared to the subject material.

No that's the photographer. Great eye. On the zoom, I'm just more of fixed focal length person, but that zoom is supposed to be very good. The Damian Lovegrove photos were all taken with the zoom. Now I much prefer the ones in the link you provided, but that his article/photos also demonstrates that this is more than a "kit" lens.

See (he does have some good info on the post iF you like studio photography- I'm way too impatient....:)):

Bridal Fashion Workshop with Carla Monaco ~ Pictures | Creative and business resources for photographers - ProPhotoNut

I will admit they are some pretty impressive images and it was apparently all done with a two light kit. That said, I much prefer being outdoors.

Back