Fuji Nervously waiting...

ntrolls, do you have an estimated time of arrival? I know how excited I was...waiting and watching and trying to make sure someone was at home to sign for the camera at delivery!

Please stop over to our Welcomes and Introductions forum and say hello. You can start a new thread or add on to the original sticky thread.:D And keep us posted about that soon to be yours Fuji X100, too.(y)

P.S. I just stopped by your Flickr stream and saw that Flying Pig a la Pink Floyd.:D I also spotted a photograph that would fit perfectly in with our current weekly challenge. I'll drop you a PM with my idea...you can check out the sticky guidelines for the challenge and see what you think.

Ntrolls, the best advice I can give for when your X100 arrives is to be patient. Read as many forum posts as you can and try everything out at least once until you come up with your favourite way of shooting. I've had mine since May and I've hardly put it down, it just feels right. Unfortunately mine has developed the dreaded stick aperture blades and is out for repair so I have to fall back on my trusty GF1 + 20mm which is still a capable performer. As you get used to the X100 keep an eye on the exposure results as it took a couple of weeks before I realised there was a problem with mine (gross over exposure at f16 but not at f2). I look forward to seeing your first pictures.

Good advice. greyelm, I am so sorry about yours having problems. Thankfully, I haven't experienced any.

We've got a very handy Technical sub forum and there's a sticky thread at the top that is particularly good as an overview with many specifics. In addition make sure that the firmware is the most recent. One would think it would be but as we say in New York "ya neva know"!

You'll find that some people are happy with jpeg shooting and others with RAW... It's a personal choice, as are the way you'll use the camera. I've seen so many excellent photographs with the X100 that it's clear to me it lends itself to all different kinds of photography...and it's great in low light.

As greyelm wisely advises, read the threads - ask any and all questions - and be sure to share your photographs!(y)

This is so strange - I can swear I posted a reply to BBW and greyelm before my lunch. Finished the sandwich, came back, and it's nowhere to be found!

@BBW: thank you for the pm - indeed, the weekly challenge would be a good way to motivate my lazy self to think more about photography.

@greyelm: I'll keep an eye on the aperture blades and will be patient too :) Thanks!

The blade problem reminds me: does Fuji provide a global warranty?

This is so strange - I can swear I posted a reply to BBW and greyelm before my lunch. Finished the sandwich, came back, and it's nowhere to be found!
ntrolls, it must be faeries!:D

Fuji has warranties. I think you need to check their website and where you're buying the camera from - as in what country. More helpful responses will follow, I'm sure!

The blade problem reminds me: does Fuji provide a global warranty?

Near as I can tell from observing the problem closely here and on a number of other forums, Fujifilm has different warranty policies in every country that they have offices in. For some odd reason Fujifilm UK offers only a 1 year warranty on the X100 while every other country that I know the details for offers a 2 year warranty. I don't know why the discrepancy - could it be the strong consumer protection legislation in the UK?

I can't point you to a link at the moment but I have read that Fujifilm UK has indicated they will cover the "sticky aperture blade" issue beyond the 1 year warranty period. I'd love to see that in writing from Fujifilm, effective on a global basis. Perhaps you should at least work to get that commitment from them to you for peace of mind.

I would try not to worry about it and just use the camera.

Lastly, the issue if it is going to crop up tends to show up well within the first 1,000 exposures so my best advise is to get out there and start shooting. You'll enjoy using the camera so reaching 1,000 exposures ought not be too much of a problem in short order.

Congratulations ntrolls!!!!!:yahoo: Promise to report back - and take a look through the technical forum while you're waiting...there are some handy threads about settings, etc.

Had a very enjoyable time with X100 in my hands this afternoon. Image quality is impressive. I've posted the following to this week's challenge as well (I felt it fit the theme somehow), but here is one shot from today. Jpeg + Silver Efex (yes, perhaps I should've shot it in RAW, but the Jpegs were so nice!)

6270618820_b1789808be_b.jpg

Now I can really say "congratulations" because you've gone out and found your way with this very special camera! I can easily see why you've entered this in the current Weekly Challenge. Many use the jpegs from the X100 just as you, ntrolls.

I am so pleased that you're feeling good about your decision. I know that for most of us buying a camera like this is a big expense. Here's to many years of enjoyment!:th_salute:

Hehe, it was a significant financial investment for me and I admit I thought about trying it out and then selling it right away if it does not feel right. Turns out it felt quite right. Sigh, I can always save somewhere else I guess. Thank you for your kind words, BB.

Had a very enjoyable time with X100 in my hands this afternoon. Image quality is impressive. I've posted the following to this week's challenge as well (I felt it fit the theme somehow), but here is one shot from today. Jpeg + Silver Efex (yes, perhaps I should've shot it in RAW, but the Jpegs were so nice!)

I have really appreciated the jpeg quality of the X100. Many times I have opted to it's convenience over having to process the raw file. It's pretty much where I want it out of the camera....

Back