Netherlands -7C

Bill, if I may answer for Herman, they most certainly are! I've been on the ice today, it was busy with loads of people skating :) and it was especially nice to see families with parents teaching 4 or 5 year olds how to skate... good to know at least one more generation will have memories of the favorite winter pastime of the Dutch :)

Bill, if I may answer for Herman, they most certainly are! I've been on the ice today, it was busy with loads of people skating :) and it was especially nice to see families with parents teaching 4 or 5 year olds how to skate... good to know at least one more generation will have memories of the favorite winter pastime of the Dutch :)

I lived in Holland in 1979 for two years - if I remember there is a famous canal race - is it 10 canals or similar? - only possible in very cold years

Good to hear from you, Herman. Nice to have you back. It's about 26C here in Puerto Rico. I would say 20C is about as cold as it would get here, and that would be in the mountain towns, not on the coast.

Cheers,

Antonio

I lived in Holland in 1979 for two years - if I remember there is a famous canal race - is it 10 canals or similar? - only possible in very cold years

That´s the "Elfstedentocht" (Eleven City Tour), a 200km tour on natural ice in the Northern province Friesland. It's pretty rare (the last one was in 1997), and when it happens, it's second only to a Football World Cup final in terms of national excitement and pride.

Today was the first day snowing in Paris, but now most of it has melted (it's about midnight when I'm writing this). Temperatures have gone from 0°C to -5°C in the last few days. Cold but definitely bearable. I hope you're doing well pictogramax!

Today was the first day snowing in Paris, but now most of it has melted (it's about midnight when I'm writing this). Temperatures have gone from 0°C to -5°C in the last few days. Cold but definitely bearable. I hope you're doing well pictogramax!

We're fine, Julien, thanks! Here it resembles Paris from two years ago; I was there in December 2010, just when that grand snow hit your capital. I still remember waiting for seven hours in check-in area of CHDG for our plane to get the clearance to lift off:)

Hi Herman. Good to have you around again.

Here in Tbilisi we got down to -11 (celsius) a couple of nights ago. Just starting to warm up again. About -1 today.

Back