Nikon Never really liked my D800

sh0wtime

Veteran
Name
Adam.
I never really liked my D800. The keeper rate wasn't great & it just felt awful in the hand :( No thumb grip. Too used to single digit bodies i guess..
Thinking back I did do the firware update & tbh the keeper rate went up dramatically but ergonomically it was nearly as bad as a canon lol :whistle:
It's the only Nikon i ever sold on, others i just kept for too long til they weren't really worth selling (D200 & D2Xs).
However the D810 i replaced it with was everything the D800 should have been, only minor tweaks but made a big difference (y)
Anyway, waffling aside i did run across a couple of D800 pics i actually liked from a walk around Duxford a while back, still glad i changed though :D

17095133959_9025bea3a8_k.jpg
17281036895_8dc373e7ea_k.jpg

Those are good shots. The first time I saw a Buzz Bomb "in person", I was surprised at how big the thing was. I had pictured them in my mind much smaller.

As for D800 cameras. I bought a used D800e about 4 years ago and I was never happy with it. It seemed like I could never get a really sharp shot. It was totally frustrating, the first "bad" Nikon I ever owned. No matter what lens, AF or manual focus, almost every shot had something wrong with it. At best, slightly out of focus.

I eventually sold it. Then a few months later I was offered another D800e for a crazy low price, so I bought it. I figured maybe I would get lucky. And I did get lucky. The new D800e is bang on super sharp. Crazy details in every photo. Almost NEVER a focus miss. So maybe Nikon fixed the problem, or maybe my first one was a stinker.

I've read hundreds and hundreds of complaints about the D800 series, there probably were production problems.

I can remember the left side focus issues that many complained about but i don't think it affected my one.
The firmware update ( or maybe me just slowing down & being a bit more deliberate when shooting) definitely seemed to improve things (y)

apart from the woeful grip :(

I think the reasonably prompt release of the D810 kinda confirms the D800 had issues.....
Although the D750 was plagued with problems But people loved it :whistle:

Back