Nikon New 11-27mm CX Lens allows Power-On/Off using Lens Switch but only with J2 Camera

Covey22

Hall of Famer
The Title Should Actually Read: Nikon J2 can be shut off using lens barrel switch!

Within the description for the new 11-27mm CX lens announced today:

Zoom ring operation turns the camera power on/off (power off: not available with J1/V1)

- Rotating the zoom ring turns power on
- Retracting the lens turns power off [NEW]

and

Quickly turn your camera on/off by manipulating the lens

Turn the camera on and off simply by extending and retracting the lens. You no longer need to press the power switch.

Note: This function is applicable only to 1 NIKKOR VR 30-110mm f/3.8-5.6, 1 NIKKOR VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6, and 1 NIKKOR 11-27.5mm f/3.5-5.6. Nikon J1/ V1 accommodate turning the power on only. You must use the latest version firmware.

They must have done this through the lens interface mount on the new camera. Too bad it couldn't be a firmware improvement that gets pushed down to the legacy cameras...

Turn the camera on and off simply by extending and retracting the lens. You no longer need to press the power switch.

I'd love it if someone could explain to me why this is a good thing. Power switches are what we are used to. On the X10, there isnt one. I looked again the other day and I doubt I would ever get used to it.

WHY has Nikon done this? Just seems like extra crap to include in a lens and I cant think of any logical reason for it.

The zoom on the X10 is a great feature: an honest-to-goodness manual zoom lens on a compact camera. The fact that it doubles as an on-off switch is a clever bit of engineering, although I can see where it may be viewed as a little too clever and borderline annoying.

The zoom on the X10 is a great feature: an honest-to-goodness manual zoom lens on a compact camera. The fact that it doubles as an on-off switch is a clever bit of engineering, although I can see where it may be viewed as a little too clever and borderline annoying.

LOL. No problem with the manual zoom. I just detest the barrel on/off. And I dont even own one. I want a dedicated switch, on top, like any normal camera. :)

I think that it's a good solution to the current process involved in shooting with a manually collapsible zoom lens. The procedure currently is 1) turn camera on, and 2) extend lens. This feature turns it into a one stage process.

I quite liked that feature of the X10 when I had one - took me the first few uses to fully get used to, but then no problem. With the collapsible Olympus kit lenses (and 9-18), I really dislike having to remember to open them before turning the camera on (or getting a message about it on the screen). I always thought the X10 was an elegant solution - you have to open the lens to use the camera anyway - nice to combine that with the on-off function. Not a big deal to me one way or the other, but I liked it.

-Ray

WHY has Nikon done this? Just seems like extra crap to include in a lens and I cant think of any logical reason for it.

Believe it or not, this was one of the top 5 requests for improvement when the J1/V1 was released. The number 1 and 2 requests (changes daily depending on where you take your pulse) is still disabling the mandatory preview after every shot and being able to set minimum shutter speed.

I quite liked that feature of the X10 when I had one - took me the first few uses to fully get used to, but then no problem. With the collapsible Olympus kit lenses (and 9-18), I really dislike having to remember to open them before turning the camera on (or getting a message about it on the screen). I always thought the X10 was an elegant solution - you have to open the lens to use the camera anyway - nice to combine that with the on-off function. Not a big deal to me one way or the other, but I liked it.

-Ray

Right. Now its making sense. I was considering an E-PL1 at one stage and when I looked at it in the store, you had to open the lens first and then switch... NOW I can see the logic. Thanks Ray :)

Back