Scanners New addition for film slide and negative copying.

Name
Mel
I have a Pacific Image 3540 u scanner which works well but is very slow in scanning, I also have a Nikon LS-2000 scanner that is great but I am unable to use it since it is SCSI and none of my computers take a SCSI card, and even with VueScan, it will not operate the scanner with several attempted workarounds. I set up an old Enlarger column with a ball head where the enlarger head would go, attached my OM ED-5ii with Panasonic/Leica 45mm 2.8 Macro, and shot the slides and negatives loose on a cold light. I saw an advertisement for a JJC LED light source with a negative carrier and slide carrier. It is a very small adjustable LED unit in which the film carriers slide into. The LED has brightness control so it is great. Here are two photos of the setup. I have a larger light source to look at the slides and negatives with a magnifyer and a dust and debris cleaner you put your slides and negs through before scanning or copying. The LED unit was 26.99 at Amazon. I also am attaching a copy I did with the unit and 45mm 2.8 lens. The two last pictures are Berlin in 1985.
M12X0169.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
M12X0170.jpg
P4189290.jpg
P4189293.jpg

When I tried something similar, I found that if I controlled the extraneous light coming in from the sides it helped. My first set up included a piece of plastic sewer pipe.
I finally got smart and started collecting this setup off the Goodwill site:
DSC05964 (Large) (3).JPG

It works really well. That's a neat light source you've found. I used to use a picture of a flash going off displayed on a tablet full screen with a piece of velum in front of it to diffuse it.
I
IMG_0616-1.jpg
It's been thru a couple iterations. Here's an earlier shot with my old Nikon D7000 I believe, mounted on a piece of melamine.

Last edited:
W
I have a Pacific Image 3540 u scanner which works well but is very slow in scanning, I also have a Nikon LS-2000 scanner that is great but I am unable to use it since it is SCSI and none of my computers take a SCSI card, and even with VueScan, it will not operate the scanner with several attempted workarounds. I set up an old Enlarger column with a ball head where the enlarger head would go, attached my OM ED-5ii with Panasonic/Leica 45mm 2.8 Macro, and shot the slides and negatives loose on a cold light. I saw an advertisement for a JJC LED light source with a negative carrier and slide carrier. It is a very small adjustable LED unit in which the film carriers slide into. The LED has brightness control so it is great. Here are two photos of the setup. I have a larger light source to look at the slides and negatives with a magnifyer and a dust and debris cleaner you put your slides and negs through before scanning or copying. The LED unit was 26.99 at Amazon. I also am attaching a copy I did with the unit and 45mm 2.8 lens. The two last pictures are Berlin in 1985.View attachment 381326View attachment 381327View attachment 381328View attachment 381329
That's a terrific set-up Mel.

Back