News New and updated RX1

btw, those brats look great! do you cook 'em in beer?

I generally just cook over open coals, but then if there's a bunch of people and there will be a reason to have them "available" all afternoon, I'm a big proponent of "The Brat Tub" (yes, it rhymes with Hot Tub, people.....please don't pronounce the sausage like a spoiled child).

Saute some onions in butter (or olive oil) in a pot large enough to hold all your brats and then a enough beer to completely submerge all your brats. After the brats are done, they can sit in the brat tub all afternoon (it's like a delicious steam table for your sausage friends). Don't forge to add some of those delicious onions when your;e serving up your brat.

oh yeah, a lot of kraut fans in this neck of the woods (the names of Joseph Schiltz, Frederick Pabst and Frederick Miller should be a tip-off). I don't mind it, but I think a good sausage doesn't need to be covered up. :drinks:

...the original rx1 allowed for in cam cropping and framelines for 50 and 70mm fovs--only jpeg obviously--so i imagine same with the new one. but am i correct that choosing less than full mp count as an option (disregarding in cam fov cropping) would preclude using RAW?

I can only speak for my GR; I always shoot JPG + raw even in crop mode. The GR crops the raw file and the jpg equally.

yes, i do too, always. my question was whether you can shoot RAW when doing as luke suggested, which is shooting at less than maximum megapixels. point being one is trying to defeat the ridiculous 42mp download time by shooting at a lesser mp count most of the time. that may be a great solution luke posited, but imo not if it precludes shooting RAW. shooting both, even if possible in this scenario, defeats the point of the excercise.

Tony, based on what the "little brother" RX10 does, that will not be a solution for you. When I set it to shoot 5MP images, the JPEG is 5 MP and the RAW is 20MP. If I want small files, I set it to jpeg-only. If I care about the last few drops of IQ, I go raw and deal with the huge files.

Frankly, I haven't seen the need to shoot raw in the last few years. I just think the jpeg files are so malleable these days. Obviously, many people disagree with that notion.

yeah, thanks luke. i just dont like sony jpegs--totally a subjective personal thing. i have no such problem with fuji or oly. i shoot RAW with my rd1, but i need to there. i think if one is gonna shoot jpeg, i'm not sure why they would want this particular $3500 camera, but then again no one owes me an explanation for what they want!

I can't really say anything about this camera - I never used it or its predecessor... but on the philosophical side this reminds me of the human condition...
Back in the days, when the computer started to be used in everyday work, wasn't the dream that we'd finish all our work so much faster and have all that free time for our family and friends? Instead we started piling on more and more work onto our plates and work more than ever...

Where I'm trying to get with this is that faster computers these days could allow us to do elaborate processing of our photos in real-time.
Allowing us to be more creative, intuitively trying out different processing approaches and never worry about disk space anymore...
Instead, with ever increasing file sizes, we're still watching progress bars a lot of the time and worry about technical things like disk space.

I'm not saying that all progress is bad :) Obviously home-movies on DVD were much better than watching VHS. And BluRay is better still. But then again I don't know why we'd need 4k... And after all, we still had a huge amount of fun watching VHS movies with a couple of friends and some pizzas back in the days :)

Philosophical rant over... not sure myself where I'm heading with this... apologies for the detour... :)

I am going to score a new Rx1R MII, I love the files from my A7R MII, 42MP is sweet for me, and to get it in the RX1R is Heavensville, and I will use every one of those megapixels to create some stunning imagery.

More MP for me, More Rx1R for me..... No Zeiss Batis for me.

I am looking forward to those 42mp files, download time is time one can do other things., I love working with large files just as much as the little ones, they each bring something unique. My only concern will be if that size slows down capture. According to what I have read that the viewfinder differs from the one on the RX100 in that you no longer have to pull the eyepiece back. Honestly for the times that I use the viewfinder on the RX100IV I do not mind it, better that the RX100III one.The question for me is do I sell my RX1r now, wait, or give it to the offspring. What will they be worth. Funny thing is that I did not want an RX1 at all when they first came out, now love the camera, so now really want the new one.

I was hoping for heavily discounted new RX1s, but it looks like that isn't happening yet. Hopefully, sometime before Xmas!

... I'm a big proponent of "The Brat Tub" (yes, it rhymes with Hot Tub, people.....please don't pronounce the sausage like a spoiled child).

Saute some onions in butter (or olive oil) in a pot large enough to hold all your brats and then a enough beer to completely submerge all your brats. After the brats are done, they can sit in the brat tub all afternoon (it's like a delicious steam table for your sausage friends). Don't forge to add some of those delicious onions when your;e serving up your brat.

My buddy turned me on to this, but he calls it the Wisconsin Hot Tub. Proper credit for you guys there! He has the tub on the grill and then he puts the brats over the coals for a few after the tub. It gives them a little char and the skins don't break because they are pre-heated/cooked. Good stuff!

This camera, with its viewfinder and gorgeous 35mm lens, may lure me in the Sony camp to replace the Fuji X100T. But then there's the Leica Q. And what will Fuji launch next year? Well, at least I've reserved a budget for next year. ;-)

If they'd just left the sensor alone but added the auto-ISO improvements, I'd have probably found a way to get this. And that much better with the tilt-screen and probably the built in EVF if it's as good as the removable EVF from the first gen. AF improvements don't mean that much to me, but sure, I'd like that well enough as well. But I just don't want anything to do with a 42mp sensor, even if it is better in all measurable ways than the 16mp sensor in my DF (as it appears to be, even in high ISO DR). I just don't want to deal with files that large and balky to deal with. Maybe in another couple of generations of computers, it'll just be background noise and maybe then I'll pick up a used one for $1200 like the originals seem to be selling for now. But I also feel like I've sort of moved on from the fixed lens thing I was so into for a couple of years, other than the Coolpix A of course. I loved the RX1 but I love the DF with 2-3 prime lenses more, and even when I go out with a single lens, it's generally a focal length I like even more than the 31-32mm in the RX1 with a lens I like roughly as much as the Sonnar in the RX1. I liked that well enough, but I seem to like wider and longer better. Yeah, it's tiny, but the DF with a single prime is tiny enough for me - neither really fits in a pocket but neither are any sort of hassle to carry. But it looks like Sony fixed some important stuff with this version of the RX1 and moved forward on other stuff, whether I consider it a fix or not. And if I wanted a really premium fixed lens camera again, I'd be trying to figure out some way to get one of these...

-Ray

Back