News New and updated RX1

So far the new RX1r II is very cool
Jeez, Bob, we need more than THAT!

How's the EVF? How's the tilt screen? How's the variable low pass filter? How's the AF? How well does that sensor mate with the lens? I'd ask about the improved auto ISO functions, but I know you don't use that stuff...

Mind you, if the answers to most of this is positive, I really DON'T wanna know! ;) But I'm interested anyway...

-Ray

So far the tilt screen is fine very much like the one on the RX1OOIV, the low pass filter use is an easy menu option but I was using an R before so I imagine I will only be turning in on to so how it works for occasional use. The AF is much better and faster, the auto ISO looks to me like what you are asking for Ray, you can set pretty much any range of ISO and any shutter speed as a min. The sensor and lens seem perfect except now with a larger sensor the plan of focus is even shallower, the resolution is amazing along with a huge file size 120mg, The tripod hole location has shifted slightly and the camera is slightly thicker so most of the after market grips do not fit, but the hood, batteries, filters and thumb grip area all still the same, comes with a travel charger now, and maybe one of the weakest manuals I have seen in awhile with nothing yet from Sony on their website. Found a PDF one on another site. Ray I do use Auto ISO just a little different than you in that I set the camera to Manual for aperture and shutter and then let the ISO float, having this new ability to expand or set limits on it is very cool. Just got it yesterday late so I will shoot so stuff today, but was pretty impressed with how fast it was focusing in my not so bright office/slash music room. I know for most this may sound silly but one of the things I loved is the wheel comes with only one function pre-set, this could be the first advanced P&S that I do not turn on something I do not need nor rarely use.
The eyepiece is interesting, I like not worrying about losing it or the size of bag I needed to store it like the RX1, it certainly works a lot better than the one on the RX100IV, but I not sure about the eyecup. It has to be snapped on an then there is a lock screw to keep it on, so If one wanted to use it becomes a leave it one most of the time sort of thing. I will try and shoot without the eyecup, honestly none of my PRO stuff has eyecups anymore, I just use my hand to shield the light. As to the longevity and ruggedness of the eyepiece who knows, the ones on the RX100III and IV seemed far weaker and I have not had any problems with them yet. So we will have to see.
Overall I am very happy with the camera.

The sensor and lens seem perfect except now with a larger sensor the plan of focus is even shallower, the resolution is amazing along with a huge file size 120mg,
Good lord - that's a HUGE file. I'd need to buy a whole new computer setup I think.

Is the plane of focus practically shallower or just shallower at the pixel level? I would assume the latter, but it would be tough to avoid the temptation to pixel peep and be somehow dis-satisfied with the pixel level sharpness just off the plane of focus. This could be a great all around camera for me including a great street camera for how I work, with the auto ISO setup with min shutter speed control. Some folks are contending that zone focus is a bad idea with this because of the shallower focus at the pixel level. But I'm guessing that if I assume a fixed display size of an 12x18" print or a 27" full screen computer monitor display, the practical plane of focus is the same as with a lower res sensor. It wouldn't be on pixel peeping, but that's not a big part of street work... I know the CoC is somehow affected by the pixel density, but is that a real concern or theoretical one applicable to those printing wall sized murals? Any thoughts on this?

At this point, and for the foreseeable future, I'm not going near this camera because the cost of the camera is prohibitive (he original RX1 would have been too, but I had a bit of photo related income at that point) and, to the extent I could find a way to pull that together, the computer upgrade wouldn't be. But in a few years I'm likely to have upgraded the computer and the used prices will be less than half of the current new cost, and who knows, I might go there... But it's tough when the DF already does all that stuff (except the tilt-screen, but I'd come to use those less and less anyway) and I've got 3-4 lenses either as good or nearly as good as the Sonnar on the RX1 that I'm likely to stick on it and shoot all day as though it was a fixed lens. And I can take a couple more lenses out when I feel like it. There's a size penalty, but it's not that much of one or one that bothers me in any case. So my lust for this type of camera has dwindled a LOT, unless it's for a real pocket camera like the Coolpix A or GR. But I never say never - I loved the original RX1 in a way that most cameras never approach, so there's always a chance...

-Ray

The shallower plane is just something that happens when one ups the sensor or film size, the other thing I find in my pro stuff is the sensitivity to camera movement also increases. With the big MF backs it sometimes has felt like the capture takes place sort of like a focal plane shutter, a waterfall capture more though than say an equal burst. I always have looked at as a price one pays to get this incredible resolution.

The shallower plane is just something that happens when one ups the sensor or film size, the other thing I find in my pro stuff is the sensitivity to camera movement also increases. With the big MF backs it sometimes has felt like the capture takes place sort of like a focal plane shutter, a waterfall capture more though than say an equal burst. I always have looked at as a price one pays to get this incredible resolution.
Well, thanks Bob. That actually makes the whole thing much MUCH easier for me to rest easy without even thinking about this camera. Since I don't even want the incredible resolution to begin with (and look at it as a mild downside), no way I want to pay a price for it. Particularly one that sounds like it could have a real impact on one of the key ways I'd want to use this camera. Man, what I wouldn't give for an original RX1 with firmware updated with the new auto-ISO setup. It's not gonna happen, but THAT I'd definitely buy at current used prices...

-Ray

Her are three images processed from jpeg output, all three have been cut down to about 3meg files one straight, one hdr and one silver effex
flower%20sm_zpsmswhlh1t.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Layla_zpsxgglef5h.jpg

succulent_zpsnbqpduuc.jpg

Back