Fuji New Body & Lens or Lens Only?

RStarPhoto

Regular
Ok boys and girls, looking for some honest opinions...

I came into a small amount of money I wasn't expecting, so of course I want to put it into gear lol. If you have seen my post on the main page, you know I shoot weddings. I have an E-X2, E-X1 and an E-M1. I absolutely adore my Fujis, but they are lacking when it comes to wedding receptions. I have two options in looking at. I can purchase a used Olympus EM-5 and Panasonic 14mm 2.5 and have a wicked fast setup for receptions, or I could buy the Fuji 23 1.4 from B&H while it's on sale. I need the speed, but I've also wanted that 23.

So, if you were in my shoes, what would you choose? And those of you with the 23, how much do you REALLY like it?

Thanks!!

Having started my mirrorless trek in m4/3, I vote fuji! With some bounced flash mounted on camera or otherwise, the 18-55 on the x-e2 does well. This is jpeg OOC with 2 flashes hanging from the ceiling. The 23 is slower focusing than the zoom, but f1.4….. I took nearly 200 shots and 4 missed focus.

View attachment 3388

Attachments

• DSCF8168-1.jpg
    DSCF8168-1.jpg
    196.7 KB · Views: 127
Small room still carrying some light. In a dark reception hall the E-X2 cannot focus correctly.

I'll assume you are talking about the X-E1 and X-E2 (not the E-X1 and E-X2)... and if you feel the X-E2 can't focus the way you want in low light, then why would you invest in more glass... Especially if you think the above example is not like the environments you shoot in...

I'd sell one of the Fuji's to fund the XF 23, and get the Oly with lens for the weddings...

Lol yeah, those cameras. I always do that.

It's not about using the 23 because I think it's going to replace whatever I choose to shoot receptions with. I just think the lens fits my style better than the 35 I already have.

I actually don't need to sell off one. They all get used during the day plus my A7.

Back