Canon New Canon Serious Compact Apparently Coming

I get the worst of both worlds in this regard - I like a lot of the "small" sensor compacts, so I buy them, and then I rarely end up using them! Lose, lose... :rolleyes-74:
This is hard. I'm good with mu43 but not what I saw coming out of my friend's Nikon 1. OTOH, I'm very impressed with the images out of my wife's RX100. I'm assuming the G5X would be more like the RX100. Of course, the question is are the ergonomics of the G5X better (or better enough) not to just get an RX100III. That latter is truly pocketable. If you've gotten used to FF noise then you may be doomed.

I guess it's about your fears after all, Ray :)

Compare camera dimensions side by side

And from DPR: The PowerShot G5 X looks like a G7 X with a grip and pentaprism bolted to the top, and to be honest, that's pretty much what it is. Except for the viewfinder and grip and a couple of other little touches the G5 X is basically the same as the G7 X: the same 20.2MP 1"-type BSI CMOS sensor, the same lens (24-100mm equiv F1.8-2.8), the same shooting features (including a selectable ND filter and Raw support). What differentiates the two cameras are the tools used to compose and control the camera.
Yup, cool - one less camera to have to think about... Although it's actually getting pretty rare that I think much about new camera releases. The Leica Q got my attention for a couple of weeks, but other than that, I can't remember anything in a while...

-Ray

I actually quite like the package, even though it's certainly not the prettiest camera I've ever seen. But all the additions to the G7X make sense to me, as they improve handling in all the right places in my opinion - except (and that's a big one) pocketability. Anyhow, I'll definitely have a peek through that EVF once it becomes available. The grip and the controls actually make the G5X more manageable for me than the GM5, and it's really not a lot bigger in spite of the hump ... and certainly slimmer once you add a lens to the GM5. That said, I won't get one until I know what's to come from Olympus in Q1/2016 (there are rumors about new and innovative PEN bodies). But if Olympus don't deliver ... well, we'll see.

M.

Actually, the GX5 does appeal to me in a way. I actually find the curvy designs of some DSLRs far more unattractive. This is exactly the stupid kind of thing I buy on an impulse as soon as the price drops a bit.

Well I really like it. It looks ideal for street! The images from it look pretty decent and it looks an ideal travel camera. If I didn't have the LX100 I would seriously look at this one!

Edit:

I'm seriously looking at this one!!! :D

Last edited:
Personally I prefer the G7X for its true pocketability. Implementing an EVF was a no-brainer, but frankly can't see why a LX100-style EVF off to the side was not chosen. Don't see any significant difference in the image quality to the G7X from the samples - and there is no claim to an improved lens I've seen in any PR material. However the G5X is good news for me as it may push the G7x price down and I'll snap up one then!

To a lot of people, "serious" means apsc at least and this ain't it.
This forum used to be called "Serious Compacts" so I assume that's the context. It went back to a time when even 1/1.7 sensors were taken seriously if the camera has decent build and the right features. The problem now if that the many of the "non-serious" compacts have just disappeared. In my little world, the 1" sensor is where I start looking, especially after my experiences with the RX100.

Last edited:
Back