Canon New EOS-M owner

My compacts are the LX5&7, and I enjoy shooting both of them. However, I've lusted for a small APS-C for stealth street photography. I couldn't pass up the $311 22mm deal from B&H, it's my first Canon product, and it should be here tomorrow. I'm aware of the model's problems, but with my style of shooting, fast or slower AF has never been an issue for me. My question to the group has to do with the M's ergonomics: does anyone here use one of the 3rd party grips offered? Does anyone use a Clearviewer? OVF? Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using SeriousCompacts

Hi Geoff,

I had an EOS-M last summer. The lenses are incredible! The camera body, less than stellar.

However, I purchased one yet again, from this deal: http://www.ebay.com/itm/30129154462...t=1&_sadis=&LH_CAds=&_nkw=301291544622&_rdc=1

Last time, I tried to turn it into a system, and it came up short. This time, just the body + 22mm for stroll photography (see https://www.photographerslounge.org/forumdisplay.php?f=94)

In my short time with the camera last year, I got 275 keepers in lightroom, so the output possibilities of the camera were never in question. Here's my gallery of M shots EOS-M

It does benefit from a grip, but again, in my experience, it put the camera outside of a size I wanted to use, so just the stripped down one for me!

Enjoy!

Actually, one of my first observations upon receiving the camera yesterday is that the grip is not as bad as I first imagined it would be. It will work for me. The camera itself is heavier than I thought it would be, notably more IMO than my LX7. (This is not a bad thing, just an observation). So far, with the limited shooting I've done, especially compared to my Panasonics, I am very happy with the color OOC from the M. Like everyone else, I see that the AF speed could still stand some improvement, but still works for my style of street shooting. Touch screen is very easy to use (my first one with a camera), but then again I frequently use my iPhone and iPad everyday. Off to test the LCD in bright sun today, at a Civil War reenactment.

Actually, I was looking at that, as like most others, prefer to shoot with a VF rather than LCD. However, having a touch screen, I'm concerned about not being able to interact with it. Thinking about a hot shoe mounted Clearviewer, which could work, giving me enough clearance with it against my eye and still be able to access the touch screen rather easily. It would work equally as well with other lenses if I decide to add to the M's stable. I used the Clearviewer on my LX 5&7 for quite a while before getting EVFs for them.

There is nothing at all to complain about on the output, build quality or useability in terms of settings. It all comes down to AF, IMO. They would sell quite a number of these if they had real AF, but Canon doesn't yet seem to want to jump into mirrorless.

Yet.

I was tempted by that offer as well. Had to keep reminding myself that my previous dance with the M left me mostly annoyed. If they had a sweet little portrait lens I'd be all over it. But I find my 35mm option needs to be quick.

Had one when they first came out, dumped it. Now, here in 2015 I'm invested in my 5d Mkii and some nice glass, saw the deal at DigitalRev for the M with the 22mm plus the EF adaptor... all for $329.00 the price plus the benefits of the revised firmware made this a steal. I've never had any issues with IQ and the added "reach" of the sub frame sensor will give me a bit different reach on my lenses.

Well DigitalRev was a colossal waste of time. Went through the entire order/confirmation process, funds posted, delivery estimated by them and all that. Get an email this morning, ORDER CANCELLED due to manufacture discontinuation. REALLY? duh, I could have told them that 3 years ago. That's why I ordered it from them in the first place as they show it as in stock. I figured they had some NOS limited quantities. Will never do business with them again...

Hey, Geoff - congrats on your new EOS M. The 22mm has to be one of the nicest lenses I've ever used on any camera - EVER - and it pairs well with the EOS-M's sensor.

If you're still looking for an accessory grip, I would recommend a FlipBac. I went back and forth on getting a grip for mine - a lot of folks raved about the qualities of the Franiec grip - but I wanted something a little less pronounced. I went to the Flipback website, went through their 4 main grip designs, and settled on the G2. The other benefit of the Flipback is that it's extremely affordable. Overall, in shooting, it didn't make a huge difference - but I wound up appreciating it on the whole, so I would recommend it highly.

Enjoy the camera!

Back