Fuji New firmware for Fuji X-E2

I have installed the new firmware. I must say it's very comprehensive. In fact, it's so comprehensive that I have to relearn how to use the camera. Even the live view screens look different.

The flagship features of the update are, of course, improved AF performance and electronic shutter. I have not been able to test the AF speed or accuracy yet, but the Face Detection mode is much improved. Before the update, it was very unreliable in detecting faces, now it's great. Also there is one curious change: before the update, the kit lens made soft chirping noises when focusing, now it's completely silent. The electronic shutter is great and goes up to 1/32000s, meaning that it's now possible to shoot at f/1.2 or f/1.4 in broad daylight.

But there are also lots of small changes. For example, all four direction pad buttons are now customizable. There are 3 user-configurable Auto ISO presets. The EVF info overlay now autorotates when shooting in portrait.

The movie mode is vastly improved, it's now possible to select between 24, 25, 30, 50 and 60p modes both at 1920x1080 and 1280x720 and shoot video in full manual mode. It seems there is now a bit less moire as well.

(Cross-posted from Mu-43.com)

I'm really glad they revised and reissued the entire user manual; would have been too difficult to capture all the differences in an addendum.

I feel like I've purchased a new camera - at zero cost!

Back