Fuji New firmware for X-A1, X-M1, X-E1, X-Pro1, X-E2, X100S, XF27mm, XF18mm

flysurfer

Hall of Famer
Click these links to get firmware updates for:

X-A1 (1.01): X-A1 | Firmware | FUJIFILM X Series & GFX – Global

X-M1 (1.01): X-M1 | Firmware | FUJIFILM X Series & GFX – Global

XF18mm (3.10): XF18mmF2 R | Firmware | FUJIFILM X Series & GFX – Global

XF27mm (1.10): XF27mmF2.8 | Firmware | FUJIFILM X Series & GFX – Global

Click here for a press release regarding the upcoming firmware update for the X-Pro1: News | Fujifilm [Japan]
Click here for a press release regarding the upcoming firmware updates for the X-E1, X-E2 and X100S: News | Fujifilm [Japan]

YES!!!

I love when Fuji does this... easily my favorite thing about shooting the X-series cams is when Fuji listens to feedback and updates FW to add or improve features. I believe they have now addressed every thing I have complained about with the X-E1 except color options for focus peaking. Awesome! Can't wait to update my stuff tomorrow :2thumbs:

Oh - and the filename edit function: awesome. Shooting multiple cams I've very occasionally had conflicts so it's great to have the freedom to change that and give each a unique prefix. I didn't even realize I wanted that feature until I saw it on the list!

Awesome? Hell yeah!! Except you'll have to wait till 12/19 for the update.

YES!!!

I love when Fuji does this... easily my favorite thing about shooting the X-series cams is when Fuji listens to feedback and updates FW to add or improve features. I believe they have now addressed every thing I have complained about with the X-E1 except color options for focus peaking. Awesome! Can't wait to update my stuff tomorrow :2thumbs:

It's wonderful news indeed. Minimum shutter speed setting (although I shoot mainly manual now), better aligned frame lines (hurray!). And finally the possibility to change file names. The miracles of software directed cameras! I appreciate Fuji's dedication to improving the existing camera line.
Does the histogram now shows correctly in manual mode too? That would make it even better!

With the XE2 release, I had thought a firm for the XE1 was going to be awhile.
What an awesome company.
I can see myself shooting with Fuji for some time.

Awesome? Hell yeah!! Except you'll have to wait till 12/19 for the update.

I saw that later after I posted - they threw me off because it had a 12/19 date on there but there was a "[Firmware download]" link at the bottom. Oh well - patience is a virtue right? :D

It's wonderful news indeed. Minimum shutter speed setting (although I shoot mainly manual now), better aligned frame lines (hurray!). And finally the possibility to change file names. The miracles of software directed cameras! I appreciate Fuji's dedication to improving the existing camera line.
Does the histogram now shows correctly in manual mode too? That would make it even better!

Seemingly:

3. See the exposure setting in live-view and histogram
The images and histogram will reflect current exposure levels (with the shutter speed and aperture set during manual exposure also displayed on the image). In scenarios where the live view and the final shot will appear differently, eg: when using flash, this setting can be turned off.

Rico, two questions you might know more about:

1) With the auto-iso changes, I gather we still won't be able to use exposure comp in M mode + Auto-ISO, correct? Not nearly as big a deal if I can now force a higher minimum shutter speed with Auto-ISO, but I'm just curious :)

2) I heard an earlier rumor they were planning to introduce peaking colors in FW updates, do you know if that's still on the radar? That's about the only thing left on my wishlist!

Jay, just out of curiosity: why would you want to use the exp comp dial in Manual mshooting mode? It's quite easy to change A and S ?
Rico, two questions you might know more about:

1) With the auto-iso changes, I gather we still won't be able to use exposure comp in M mode + Auto-ISO, correct? Not nearly as big a deal if I can now force a higher minimum shutter speed with Auto-ISO, but I'm just curious :)

2) I heard an earlier rumor they were planning to introduce peaking colors in FW updates, do you know if that's still on the radar? That's about the only thing left on my wishlist!

Jay, just out of curiosity: why would you want to use the exp comp dial in Manual mshooting mode? It's quite easy to change A and S ?

Because it would adjust the exposure target and the auto ISO system would then adjust to produce a brighter or darker exposure. It is similar to a mode I used to use with TTL macro flashes where I would lock the aperture for DOF and the shutter for background light control. Then the entire exposure would be controlled by the flash and flash compensation could be used to control the exposure.

What Jay wants to do is something similar but using exp comp to set the exposure target to affect the final chosen ISO and resulting exposure.

Just read Rico's new article which is good and he suggests an aperture priority mode work around that would be fine for most things.

I (hope I) understand what you mean but isn't it possible to achieve the same result by adjusting aperture, shutter, and ISO? All can be done with your right hand without the need to take your eye of the viewfinder, assuming that you use a function button for ISO (which I do). Using AUTO ISO makes life easier of course but this gives you full control. Depending on what I want to achieve, I adjust one or more if the three variables.
I do see the use of the exp comp dial when shooting in automatic mode but that one works. So I haven't felt the need so far. That is why I was wondering if I was missing something. Am I missing something?

BTW: What I really like about the new firmware is that it will be possible to use the histogram instead of the exposure ladder in manual exposure mode. That's a huge improvement! So I love the upcoming firmware!

And Rico: thanks for the clear and helpful article.

Because it would adjust the exposure target and the auto ISO system would then adjust to produce a brighter or darker exposure. It is similar to a mode I used to use with TTL macro flashes where I would lock the aperture for DOF and the shutter for background light control. Then the entire exposure would be controlled by the flash and flash compensation could be used to control the exposure.

What Jay wants to do is something similar but using exp comp to set the exposure target to affect the final chosen ISO and resulting exposure.

Just read Rico's new article which is good and he suggests an aperture priority mode work around that would be fine for most things.

[...]

Right - what John said :)

Manual + Auto-ISO = control over shutter and aperture without using any menus, and I have control over 2/3rds of the exposure triangle. If exposure comp worked in that scenario, I could adjust the ISO up and down with the exposure comp dial also, meaning all 3 sides of the triangle are accessible from hardware controls with no menu diving.

I like being able to control my shutter speed up and down while staying at my preferred aperture. I can pick my depth of field, and make sure I have a shutter speed that will freeze or blur motion the way I want, and the camera balances out the exposure even if the light is changing (sunrise, sunset, indoors). Auto-ISO works for this maybe 75% of the time, but then I'll hit a scenario where the meter is confused or I just want to over/under expose. Since I can't use the exposure comp, I would have to manually adjust the ISO up and down which takes a bunch more button presses, even with ISO on the Fn button.

I (hope I) understand what you mean but isn't it possible to achieve the same result by adjusting aperture, shutter, and ISO? All can be done with your right hand without the need to take your eye of the viewfinder, assuming that you use a function button for ISO (which I do). Using AUTO ISO makes life easier of course but this gives you full control. Depending on what I want to achieve, I adjust one or more if the three variables.
I do see the use of the exp comp dial when shooting in automatic mode but that one works. So I haven't felt the need so far. That is why I was wondering if I was missing something. Am I missing something?

Changing the ISO with the Fn button & key pad is (comparatively) slow and I would have to keep adjusting settings in changing light. In fixed lighting it's fine, and I shoot full manual.

I often shoot in Aperture priority instead as a workaround, but it doesn't work well in low light because it uses too slow of a shutter speed for people photos. The new firmware will fix that since I can force it to use 1/125 or 1/250, so that will go a long way toward making it more easily usable for me. :2thumbs:

I think we're all understanding each other and what I like about Jay's request is it gives you full control even with gloves on. I might not be at the steel mill anymore but all the dials on the Fuji's make operation when encumbered with gloves if not a joy, then at least possible.

The firmware for X-Pro1, X-E1, X100S and X-E2 will be up tomorrow at 0500 GMT. Note that it will reset the camera, so remember all your settings in order to reconfigure your camera accordingly after the update.

Occasional freezing experienced by a some X-Pro1 and X-E1 users should have been fixed, this bug was tracked down to using the camera in "viewfinder only" mode with the smallest AF frame selected and taking several shots in quick succession.

Back