Fuji New Fuijfilm gear ...

Name
Matt
Fujifilm's making a serious attempt to knock it out of the park:

Let the drooling begin ;)

I for one don't mind admitting that I'm impressed by more or less everything about the new 18-120mm f/4 lens ...

M.

For me the camera is the more interesting of the bunch of stuff that came out, but, I will wait till they get on the used market if I decide to go for one.

The 150-600 lens peaked my interest BUT f8 @ 600 end of the lens so at add a x2TC yes 1800mm @ f32??????

I suspect that all the test reviews done for the lens will be be on nice bright days with cloudless skies, be more interesting to see what that lens would do on a cloudy overcast day in November in dear old Blighty. I suspect that the AF may struggle.

Also @ f32 won't diffraction become an issue?

Still wait to see what reviews say :)

I was already prepared this event wouldn't offer anything for interest to me personally, but I had some small hopes for unexpected surprises, to bad that didn't happen.

The new camera is too big and uninteresting for me, I don't do any video either and I am not really into wildlife, sports or action photography that I would need the improved C-AF capabilities. Personally I'd rather buy the OM-1 by former Olympus.

I think the new telezoom is fairly interesting, as it is decently priced compared to some other options. But then again for my own use I wouldn't pay that amount of money for a lens which barely would see any action. I am very sure though a lot of Fujifilm users can't wait to get their hands on one of these.

The most interesting news are the announcments of the lenses. The reworked 56mm f1.2, but it remains to be seen how much it grows in size and weight, as the new 23mm and 33mm f1.4 lenses are quite a bitheavier than their predecessors. The new 8mm f3.5 is more interesting for me, as it offers a fairly compact AF ultra wide angle lens, I don't have any lens with such a wide field of view for neither my Olympus nor Fujifilm kit, so depending on the price it might be worth a look.

In the end I hoped for some "kaizen" firmware love for the big anniversary event, which introduces the latest film sims and jpg settings for from the newest X-Trans IV cameras to the earlier X-Trans IV cameras like X-T3 or X100V. Also a sneak peak or any news about the next iteration of the X100 or X-Pro line, the cameras which more or less spawned the X-Systems, would have been for the anniversary event.

This could be worth investigating when it's available

1654079786242.png

For me the camera is the more interesting of the bunch of stuff that came out, but, I will wait till they get on the used market if I decide to go for one.

The 150-600 lens peaked my interest BUT f8 @ 600 end of the lens so at add a x2TC yes 1800mm @ f32??????

I suspect that all the test reviews done for the lens will be be on nice bright days with cloudless skies, be more interesting to see what that lens would do on a cloudy overcast day in November in dear old Blighty. I suspect that the AF may struggle.

Double the effective focal length with the same physical iris opening size means the effective f-number doubles, not quadruples, so 1200mm f/16 (or in FF equivalence terms, 1800mm f/24).

Ofcourse the 2 stops higer f-number means 1/4 of the light gathering ability, which I think may be where you mixed up factors to end up at f/32.

Last edited:
The 150-600 is a bit slow for anything in the shade but is resonably sized and not too heavy, just.
So maybe ok for a casual user like the canon f11 lenses

Be interesting to see what the working distance of the 30mm macro is and if it goes larger than 1:1

Camera looks interesting but I take the 7 stops of IBIS with a grain of salt till it is tested against an Olympus camera

Still over all a good showing with at least affordable gear, looking forward to hearing about the hires camera version

Yeah, the 7 stops sounds good, but the X-T4 is rated at 6.5. I remember reading a review that compared the IBIS of the X-T4 to the E-M1.3, and the E-M1 did much better at low shutter speeds. With Olympus, you can go well below 1s quite easily, but the Fuji reliably bottomed out at 1/10s or so. Now, do you really need to go that low? Maybe not, especially if ISO performance is really good.

The video for the lens will pop up in the screen toward the end of the camera video.

Camera sounds pretty impressive. The new AF looks exceptional, and the 7 stops of IBIS put it right near the top.

I want to see some images of the 150-600 lens with the 2XTC, at full extension. Over 1800mm.
I notice the new APS-C Canons also say 7 stops of IBIS. I guess this is because the smaller sensor is easier to move around?

This could be worth investigating when it's available

View attachment 314036
I used a 'standard' macro a lot when doing copy slides and negs, in my case a 55mm Micro Nikkor, but since that all gets done on a scanner I prefer and find more useful a longer focal length for 3 dimensional macro work, still the 55mm but on aps-c, or even the 100mm Micro Nikkor, so not too excited by this.

Gerry

I won't buy either of these, but I'm really glad to see Fuji showing commitment to a competitive system. I suspect the next Fuji body I might buy will be some future iteration of the X-S10 or (maybe) the X-T30.

No, it will be f/16.

600mm lens on APS-C provides a FL equivalent of 900mm. The 2X TC doubles the effective FL to 1800mm, and the aperture to f/16.

Canon got badly caught out with their IBIS claim.
It was simply a blue sky figure that no one could come close to replicating.

However, IBIS stops are notoriously difficult to quantify, let alone measure.

The best testing I have seen was using the same three testers - one who was shaky, one steady and one like a rock - then comparing multiple shots from each at each SS. Multiple shots at each SS from each photographer.

They showed consistent differences of about a stop (± a little) between the three testers for all sorts of shots and shutter speeds - i.e. shutter speed of 1/x for the best, 1/2x for the middle and 1/3x for the shakiest tester, where 1/x is the slowest SS for a given quality level of output. IIRC, it was either Lenstip or Imaging Resource.

This translates to a range of about 2-4 stops difference in results, depending on how steady the photographer is normally.
e.g. in my youth (18-20 y.o.), I could hand hold a 50mm lens on my M2 Leica at up to about 1s unsupported in ideal conditions. Now at approaching 75 y.o. that would be 1/10th or higher without IBIS, but preferably about 1/50th to 1/60th. i.e. a big difference!

I agree that the Olympus Pro bodies remain the gold standard, and with the sync-IS of the 12-100, stabilisation is just spooky good, even for a moderately shaky old fart like me..

The top LCD is the one thing that had me consider a G9 before I got my E-M1.2. It's nice to see that Fuji has kept it on the X-H2s. Wondering what a non "S" version of this might be like (other than hopefully cheaper;)).

Back