Fuji New Fuji camera?

The GFX-100S is impressively small for that bigger sensor. I’m very curious how well that IBIS works. I thing the XE4 might be the new entry level body. That minimal controls design could work if they put a real touch screen control system on the LCD. I’m a bit sad about the rear dial being gone. I prefer rear dials to front dials. Sorry, Bobby. :D

Sadly as much as the X-S10 peaked my interest, the X-E4 doesn't. Well I guess my $$$ is safe for now.

If the leaked photos are accurate and the specs are too, nothing there that makes me want to upgrade it over what I already have in Fuji.

I am not a fan of the body design and the placement of the Q button. I use that a lot and I’d have to hunt for that thing on the top plate.

If anything, I’d get another XE3 used when the XE4 is release. They are already pretty reasonable now, and will probably be more so. I really liked that little thing when I had it.

I haven't really gotten into the tech details, but they removed a number of control points and the front/rear grip points. For some reason it (to me) looks a lot more like a rangefinder X-T200 than a little brother to the X-Pro.
Agreed. I was hoping for an upgrade in user experience, not a downgrade - in the sense of, so-called "user-friendliness" is thought to be achieved through "simplicity". The result is a reduction in direct control. Not a good thing in my book. I use the rear dial regularily - and I thoroughly dislike being pushed towards using a touch screen because it means I have to remove the camera from the eye to change certain settings. That's a no-no for me.

Fortunately, I'm pretty happy with the X-E3 as it is. I won't get the latest sensor now - no big deal. I'd have loved the improvements in AF, though. The only thing that could sway my take on this even now would be weather sealing. But again, I don't think that'll happen. It's become even less likely with this "overhaul".

The 27mm *is* super-nice to look at - the lack of an aperture ring is the only downside of the first version in my book. So far, Fujifilm hasn't dissappointed when it comes to optics, so this might indeed be a no-brainer.

I'll take a long, hard look at the GFX100S, too - for me, it may be the most desirable high-resolution camera out there yet. Yes, I adore the gestalt of the GFX50R, but found it a bit awkward in the hand. This new body seems to focus on handling much more thoroughly than the GFX50S and R did; the GFX100 itself is too big for my taste. The GFX100S may be just right, and yes, it's no bulkier than an SL2 or S1R. I'd choose the Z 7 II over either of those because of its compactness, though - but the GFX100S offers considerably higher resolution and looks like a very well balanced product to me. The I.B.I.S. is spec'd for 6 stops ... I'm intrigued to find out what it can do in reality.

The lenses I'd get for it are out already, too - and if the 80mm f/1.7 is all it's promising to be, that'd round out the set.

Expensive, yes. But the best portable system of that type on the market. *If* you think of high resolution, this is it. Well, probably ...

M.

That new GFX looks like ‘the one’. Presumably the AF will be slower than one is normally used to which is surely normal with medium format. I always thought the Hasselblad models looked better and had better haptics but the new Fuji is looking very good. In an imaginary world where one could pick any camera no price, it seems that the Canon R5 and accompanying lenses to me have a rival.

I had been waiting for info on the 100S, thinking about selling all Pentax gear and a little Fuji gear for the 100S and 2 lenses.

However, in the last month both of my Pentax telephoto primes have had AF motor failures. And as of last week my X-H1 #1 card slot has a broken card latch, won't hold a card in place. Wee... upcoming repair bills. :dash2:

I had been waiting for info on the 100S, thinking about selling all Pentax gear and a little Fuji gear for the 100S and 2 lenses.

However, in the last month both of my Pentax telephoto primes have had AF motor failures. And as of last week my X-H1 #1 card slot has a broken card latch, won't hold a card in place. Wee... upcoming repair bills. :dash2:

That sucks!

That’s a worry. I remember being close to getting the K1 when it was first released but went Nikon instead due to the larger lens selections, glad I did.

That sucks!

Yup. Frustrating.

That’s a worry. I remember being close to getting the K1 when it was first released but went Nikon instead due to the larger lens selections, glad I did.

I actually really like the K-1, and Pentax in general. Haven't found better ergos for my hands from any other brand, and the files are sweet.

The 100S was kind of a serious "want", not a real need. I'd love the 102mp for landscape, but to be honest the K-1 can still fill that roll nicely. Now I need to figure out the best course with the 2 lenses that will leave me the most money in-pocket. The X-H1 will have to go to repair for the card slot.

As for the thread subject... after some sleep, I'm still not really "getting" this X-E4. I don't understand control minimalism on cameras that have a ton of customization. Makes no sense to my mind. On a camera with minimal "advanced features", placing only the controls needed to adjust parameters to make the shot makes sense. I hate menu diving to adjust features I like to use, and I hate touchscreens on cameras even more. Personal preferences - I know others will feel differently.

Oh well. As I mentioned, unless I make a brand shift, my current Fuji bodies will likely be with me as long as I can reasonably keep them running.

Yup. Frustrating.

I actually really like the K-1, and Pentax in general. Haven't found better ergos for my hands from any other brand, and the files are sweet.

The 100S was kind of a serious "want", not a real need. I'd love the 102mp for landscape, but to be honest the K-1 can still fill that roll nicely. Now I need to figure out the best course with the 2 lenses that will leave me the most money in-pocket. The X-H1 will have to go to repair for the card slot.

As for the thread subject... after some sleep, I'm still not really "getting" this X-E4. I don't understand control minimalism on cameras that have a ton of customization. Makes no sense to my mind. On a camera with minimal "advanced features", placing only the controls needed to adjust parameters to make the shot makes sense. I hate menu diving to adjust features I like to use, and I hate touchscreens on cameras even more. Personal preferences - I know others will feel differently.

Oh well. As I mentioned, unless I make a brand shift, my current Fuji bodies will likely be with me as long as I can reasonably keep them running.

Well, what doesn't make sense to me is to minimize a camera that gained its popularity from having tactile manual controls. One of the number one reasons people like Fuji is the main controls are buttons or levers on the body and no need to menu dive. I think Fuji is migrating the wrong direction.

The XE series had all the right ones, minus the ISO dial. I could live with that most times because I use Auto ISO about 90% of the time (the other 10% is when shooting with off camera flash). I'm wondering if they saw the success of the XS10 coupled with the XT100/200 and thought the XE lines were next.

The XE/PRO/XH and XT cameras attract photographers and videographers that know what they want and like to work with those controls. The "seasoned folk" if you will.

While the other cameras lack EVFs and work more like phones and thus attract vloggers and "yunguns".

The XE for me was always the camera you got if you didn't need/want weather sealing or the optical viewfinder, but liked the rangefinder body layout and the physical controls. I guess Fuji has other plans.

Well, what doesn't make sense to me is to minimize a camera that gained its popularity from having tactile manual controls. One of the number one reasons people like Fuji is the main controls are buttons or levers on the body and no need to menu dive. I think Fuji is migrating the wrong direction.

<snip>

<snip> I guess Fuji has other plans.

Red - agree completely.

Blue - main reason I looked at Fuji in the first place.

Funny thing about Pentax and my K-1. After getting it set the way I want, the only menu diving I do is to format memory cards. And the menu is set to open to last used, so it's as few clicks as possible to do so. All other functions I need to change for shooting are handled through buttons, dials, and switches. With the K-1 fitting my hands and fingers almost perfectly, it's so easy for me to use. But, the system is quite a bit larger and heavier than the Fuji stuff.

Disappointed to see the over simplification and loss of features to the X-E series with each new generation. Looks like they are targeting more entry level users, while still trying to appease some of the existing user base.

I would love to see Fuji bring out an EVF-only version X-Pro camera. Gotta think that would allow for some nice economies of scale without a whole new line of cameras, and I’m sure there would be a ton of people willing to plop down $1300 - $1400 USD (ideally with IBIS) for that kind of offering.

Agreed. I was hoping for an upgrade in user experience, not a downgrade - in the sense of, so-called "user-friendliness" is thought to be achieved through "simplicity". The result is a reduction in direct control. Not a good thing in my book. I use the rear dial regularily - and I thoroughly dislike being pushed towards using a touch screen because it means I have to remove the camera from the eye to change certain settings. That's a no-no for me.........
I do understand Fuji's desire to attract smartphone users. But if that's how I wanted to interact with my camera I would just use my phone. To me this looks like maybe Fuji is thinking of getting rid of the X-A# line and just having the X-E# and X-Pro so the X-E# has to move down market. 😞

I'm all for simplifications, but to me that means simplified manual controls and options.

I do understand Fuji's desire to attract smartphone users. But if that's how I wanted to interact with my camera I would just use my phone. To me this looks like maybe Fuji is thinking of getting rid of the X-A# line and just having the X-E# and X-Pro so the X-E# has to move down market. 😞

I'm all for simplifications, but to me that means simplified manual controls and options.
I haven’t heard anything about the touch screen. Smart phone users would be perfectly happy with few physical controls and a nice touchscreen interface. I doubt Fuji will do that, but that would be the way to go.

Back