Fuji New Fuji camera?

Spending a few minutes watching the announcement, the young Japanese couple has almost got me convinced to buy a GFX100S. Now how do I work up the nerve to tell my wife I need to sell her car in order to get it?
Better hope that in the meanwhile your wife hasn't been looking at the announcement of a new car with the same couple, and intends to sell your cameras to fund it :whistle:

-R

Don't be sad, Matt. :D It's clear this is their new "intro" camera. Although it's probably aimed at someone who will stick everything on automatic, it does have SS and EC dials, and many Fuji lenses including the new 27 have aperture rings. It does appear to have a pretty fair touch screen and a Q button so you can switch AF to MF quickly. It has most of what I use regularly covered and this could be a nice little travel camera. I'll be really curious to see how thin it is and how pocketable it would be with the 27.

That's what I'm thinking. Will see if I can sell a lens to cover the cost of this.
I looked up the dimensions. The XE4 with the 27 is almost exactly the same depth as the X100V, measure from the back of the eyepiece. The lens on the X100 is shorter than the 27 so the XE4 body is probably thinner. The X100 weighs an ounce more.

Last edited:
I looked up the dimensions. The XE4 with the 27 is almost exactly the same depth as the X100V, measure from the back of the eyepiece. The lens on the X100 is shorter than the 27 so the body is probably thinner. The X100 weighs an ounce more.
I may look at the 18-55 just for the flexibility (price pending)

Oh wow. I all of a sudden got interested in that XE4 27mm kit. And I've happily ignored almost every Fuji up to this point. But the prospect of a small body with an EVF and very few little buttons on the back, direct manual controls and a 40mm-equivalent lens? That sounds kind of wonderful. Like a modern day Minolta CLE.

Well, I'm a little surprised, and not. After taking the time to watch and read some reviews...

X-E4. Confirmed the camera is not for me. But it will make a very nice compact setup for others.

GFX-100S. I was expecting to confirm expectation bias and disregard the camera. Quite the opposite. Performance is much better than I expected, and even though it is missing the dpad, being mainly a RAW shooter there are just enough function buttons I could set it up in a manner to almost eliminate menu diving. I can see this replacing all of my Pentax gear, and a good portion of my Fuji stuff.

:hmmm:

Last edited:
Well, I'm a little surprised, and not. After taking the time to watch and read some reviews...

X-E4. Confirmed the camera is not for me. But it will make a very nice compact setup for others.

X-100S. I was expecting to confirm expectation bias and disregard the camera. Quite the opposite. Performance is much better than I expected, and even though it is missing the dpad, being mainly a RAW shooter there are just enough function buttons I could set it up in a manner to almost eliminate menu diving. I can see this replacing all of my Pentax gear, and a good portion of my Fuji stuff.

:hmmm:
If you can stick with 35 mme, the x100 series is very nice. The only problem I have with my X100v is when I want something longer. Just to note, it was a combo of Fuji and Olympus that replaced my Pentax gear.

If you can stick with 35 mme, the x100 series is very nice. The only problem I have with my X100v is when I want something longer. Just to note, it was a combo of Fuji and Olympus that replaced my Pentax gear.

Fixed my typo - should have read GFX-100S above. Oops.

My X100F will likely stay regardless. I like the 35mm FOV. The F is a nice camera, I like it a lot. Most of the longer stuff I need tends to be for wildlife and airshows. Tried Oly years ago, just too small for my fingers and hands. Most Fuji are also too small for my fingers and hands. Some of the rangefinder-styles like the X100 series work OK, as does the X-H1 (barely). I'm odd in that department though, most don't seem to have the issue.

Photography is the only active hobby I can still do, so I tend to spend a bit more on it than others might. That said, it's a chunk of change. As mentioned above, all Pentax and most Fuji would have to go, as well as other hobby items I'm not using any more, and a second vehicle I really don't need anymore. If I were to do it, it would take time to generate the funds, and then wait for sales/ look for like new used, etc...

I'd say there's a better chance of me keeping my K-1 for landscapes and my Fuji stuff for travel, wildlife, aviation.

If I were to win the lottery on the other hand... :popcorm2:

Initial Video review of the X-E4. Short and sweet because Chris Nichols is confined to his basement with Covid.

Jonas Rask has a good combo review on the X-E4 and new 27mm. Although everything looks amazing on his reviews.

Jonas Rask has a good combo review on the X-E4 and new 27mm. Although everything looks amazing on his reviews.
You know, your remark about the dials got me thinking ... at first I felt a tad miffed, but you're actually correct: I only use the second dial for marginal stuff, and the front dial regularily only when the 27mm is attached - which the 27mm II actually fixes because I use it for aperture control. So I may actually reconsider because I WANT the 27mm II, it's right up my alley. It's perfectly possible that the combo feels great in use, and, above all, AF might be noticeably better.

Anyhow, I'm not in a hurry (or even a position) to try it soon (the lockdown), and I'd want to try it before buying in this case, but the X-E4 doesn't look so bad/watered down on closer inspection. Still, for me as someone who really likes the X-E3, it's kind of sideways move ... Not essential, that's for sure.

M.

You know, your remark about the dials got me thinking ... at first I felt a tad miffed, but you're actually correct: I only use the second dial for marginal stuff, and the front dial regularily only when the 27mm is attached

M.
This is exactly where I am coming from. I used to use the rear dial more. But Kyle told me about a technique using the front dial for shutter speed control because we shoot in the same manner. And I've shot that way ever since. Rarely using the rear dial for anything other than controlling the aperture on the 50-230.

Back