Ricoh New GR Digital rumor

Gimme a compact, GRD V pocket 28 (with a 35 crop button), an X100 sized fast 50 (1.4 or 1.8 please), and then I'm willing to get a larger body for portrait and tele. That would be my dream 3 cam set-up.

I do like all the controls! Looks like a GXR. An interchangeable grip would be nicer for me. I don't always want to have a bulky grip.

Funny I didn't notice the different grip shape until I read your post. It looks relatively small though, closer in size to traditional GR grip but with contours of GXR grip. That's my guess anyways...

Funny I didn't notice the different grip shape until I read your post. It looks relatively small though, closer in size to traditional GR grip but with contours of GXR grip. That's my guess anyways...

I guess the grip isn't too bad. But I still like it to be optional, which won't be possible given that the front control wheel is housed on top of the grip.

Ricoh_GR.jpg

Ok, so, edumacated peoples.. I just noticed that the aperture went from 1.9 to 2.8, I look at that as a step backwards in spite of the forwards leap of the aps-c sensor. For those of you that might understand aperture to sensor dynamics if there is such a thing, why would they have chosen a less wide lens. Is there a reason related to compact fixed lens cameras to have closed down aperture based on components or did they just decide to be.. different there too. I mean other than the daunting price [and why no images stabilization?] it all seems a step forward for the GR.. except, again to me, that.

Ok, so, edumacated peoples.. I just noticed that the aperture went from 1.9 to 2.8, I look at that as a step backwards in spite of the forwards leap of the aps-c sensor. For those of you that might understand aperture to sensor dynamics if there is such a thing, why would they have chosen a less wide lens. Is there a reason related to compact fixed lens cameras to have closed down aperture based on components or did they just decide to be.. different there too. I mean other than the daunting price [and why no images stabilization?] it all seems a step forward for the GR.. except, again to me, that.

Physics-larger sensor, longer focal length, hard to keep lens small

I think trying to get a faster lens in a camera with this large a sensor would have effected size and price quite a bit. If you're trying to make a camera like this at a certain size and price point, you have to make compromises. No coincidence that Ricoh and Nikon landed at the same f2.8. It's a little over a stop slower than the f1.9 found in the GRD 3/4 but the sensor is probably somewhere between 2-3 stops faster, so it's not really a step backward in any practical sense. Getting this much sensor and lenses as good as the Nikon has (and the Ricoh probably does as well) in this small a body is a pretty incredible feat.

-Ray

The bigger the sensor, the bigger the lens needs to be to cover the sensor. A 1.9 to cover a small sensor is much smaller than a 1.9 to cover an APS-C sensor. Also, the ability to capture a shallow DOF changes with sensor size as well as aperture so you may not be losing DOF control (you could plug in the numbers to a DOF calculator to find out). The only thing you're losing is a stop of light gathering ability, but with high ISO performance at the point it is at now, I'm not that bugged about an f 2.8.

If you watch the video, they are really advertising the overall size of the camera......and it IS small for how big that sensor is. For many the "coat pocketability" is a factor. My guess is that an f1.9 lens on that camera would have made it have a massive snout.

As for image stabilization, I don't think that ANY camera with a fixed wide to normal lens uses it. Image stabilization is most useful for longer focal lengths. If you're doing longer exposures, you should be using a tripod anyways ;)

I'm hoping the price is the $800 I've seen a few places and not the $1,000 conjectured earlier. Considering the initial MSRP of the previous models and the increase in sensor size, I guess it's about right. Of course, I'd always want to see them lower. But one needs to be realistic. These aren't going to be any bricks and mortar stores and 95% of even regular photographers likely don't even know or care who Ricoh is, so sales numbers aren't going to be huge. They need to make the money somewhere.

I am definitely okay about the speed of the lens, but I wonder how it will perform given the size. I am thinking about the size of the f2.5 fixed lens on the 28mm GXR module.... fairly chunky in comparison to this one? It will be interesting to see!

I am definitely okay about the speed of the lens, but I wonder how it will perform given the size. I am thinking about the size of the f2.5 fixed lens on the 28mm GXR module.... fairly chunky in comparison to this one? It will be interesting to see!
The Nikon is doing roughly the same thing in roughly the same size package and that lens is incredible. I'd guess that Ricoh would be pretty close to the same.

-Ray

Others have answered, but I'll add the (approximate) math:

The smaller sensor has a much higher crop factor. So, while both cameras have an "equivalent" (to full frame) 28mm lens, the GRD IV with the small sensor actually has a focal length of 6mm. The GRD V has an 18mm focal length.

Remember, f/stops are ratios, not actual aperture openings.

So, an f/1.9 lens coming off a 6mm focal length has a ~3mm aperture opening at it's widest
An f/2.8 lens coming off an 18mm focal length has a ~6.5mm aperture opening at it's widest.

So, Ricoh has already DOUBLED the aperture opening for the new camera in, basically, the same footprint, which is kind of cool. We'll see how sharp it actually is.

btw, my Canon 28mm 1.8 lens has a 15.5mm opening, which is way the GRD IV has a REALLY deep DOF, and the full frame has a more shallow one, for the same distance to subject.

btw, my Canon 28mm 1.8 lens has a 15.5mm opening, which is way the GRD IV has a REALLY deep DOF, and the full frame has a more shallow one, for the same distance to subject.

TY for the math and that put it in perspective for me as i have that lens too.

I'm not looking. I am NOT looking. (Well, perhaps a little peep). This is something that appeals, as do the Coolpix A and RX1 (thanks to Ray's adventures with same) but whichever... its going to have to wait a long time for me.

same here Sue, though it has reminded me to play with my GRD III
Purely to recall the GRD UI
Heh
yeah thats it

wow, I can't believe the difference between a couple different groups.

This group (Serious Compacts) seems pretty excited...some wish it were cheaper, but most would love to have one. Frankly, it's giving me serious thought to purging (insert acronym for Selling Heinous Inventories of Things) to fit one of these little gems into my cadre.

The comments at Pentax Forums make it seem like those folks don't understand the dynamics of compact cameras at all. The levels of misinformation and wrong statements is though the roof....and it's a brand specific camera website. Maybe they can sell enough to hobble through......and it's almost assured I'll buy one. But the future (if you read forums) does NOT look good. Is this the end of Ricoh?

a quick proofread for errors makes me say "is this clear, blah, blah, blah?"

This group (Serious Compacts) seems pretty excited...some wish it were cheaper, but most would love to have one. Frankly, it's giving me serious thought to purging (insert acronym for Selling Heinous Inventories of Things) to fit one of these little gems into my cadre.

The comments at Pentax Forums make it seem like those folks don't understand the dynamics of compact cameras at all. The levels of misinformation and wrong statements is though the roof....and it's a brand specific camera website. Maybe they can sell enough to hobble through......and it's almost assured I'll buy one. But the future (if you read forums) does NOT look good. Is this the end of Ricoh?

a quick proofread for errors makes me say "is this clear, blah, blah, blah?"

Over at rff, it was received well... A lot of people can't wait for it to start shipping.

Gary

The UI is a huge part of the appeal for me. Some changes will happen but I hope not many. Love my GRD3 also but this would be wonderful

for long time my Konica Hexar was my only camera
then the Ricoh GRD taught me to love digital and that was my only camera
I still smile when I pick up my GRD I or III.
I love these little 'razors'

I waded through the five pages of nonsense on the Pentax forum and shook my head. "Pentax bought Ricoh. Ricoh is a second rate camera company. What the heck is a GR. Why make this camera when Pentax could release a 28mm eq. lens for $200 and put it on a K5." God, it's pathetic. It's the same tired and illogical arguments people had against the Fuji X100 and now the Nikon A, both of which proved and are proving to be very capable cameras. :mad:

Meanwhile, the YouTube video of the GR promo has gone from 281 views last night to over 23,000 in about 15 hours. The comments are mostly, 'Thank you Ricoh, where can I buy one???' This camera is going to sell like blazes in the GR niche, and maybe have some good spillover into the Leica and Fuji camps, too. People on the fence about the Nikon A will jump at a camera that does all the same things at $300 less. The minute I see a preorder page on Amazon or B&H I am slapping down the plastic. :dance3:

I really like my Pentax and lenses but I get heartily sick of the attitude on forums at times. Its just as one-eyed and narrowminded as the Canikon crew can be. I ignore them, and its probably why I spend more time here, than there.

This Ricoh is 9mm longer, and a bit fatter than the GRDIV, but that makes it still pocketable (so to speak... I never actually pocket my cameras) and very very attractive to me. I may have to sell my X100 to partially fund a purchase (yes... I who said I would never...)

Back