Sony New guy with questions....

rogerc

Regular
May 16, 2013
The Hexagonal.
Sony makes a semi hard protector. I've been using those since i've owned a NEX 7. I used to think they would not be necessary since I owned DSLRS before from the big two but Sony's LCDS are really easy to scratch. My NEX 7 got a minor but sometimes noticeable scratch (visible when you had a solid colour area on and around it) and I read a few others that had similar experiences to me. Ever since i've covered the lcd with Sony's own semi hard protector since some scratches (I know this because of a phone I used to have) are a bit too deep and can get to the plastic LCD. The semi hard protector adds an extra mm or so of peace of mind.

Mutlu

Apr 16, 2014
Screen protector

The only screen protector I would recommend is this glass one by LARMOR, only $15 at Amazon.

I tried the Sony one and did not like as it gets scratched and makes it hard to see.

Here is a link:

http://www.amazon.com/LARMOR-Self-A...-1&keywords=Sony+Rx100+glass+screen+protector

Do you have a picture of the AA wrist strap? I am just curious as to what it looks like.

Well the owner sent me three batteries plus the OEM hood and the Sony plug in wall charger. I was not expecting the oe hood so I had already ordered the Fotodiox kit with the hand grip and the hood. It also came with a AA camera strap, while a nice strap, too me it seems to big so I have placed a order for a braided leather strap that should be here next week. I really liked your UNX 8118 lens hood it seems to be a copy of the Leica hood for the older 21mm f 3.4 and the Vr 2 28mm hood. Also the camera came with a B+W Uva MRC 010 filter, so except for the EVF and a ND filter and maybe a Pol I should be set. I do have one question do you need to have a protector for the lcd? I know on some cameras the coating on the lcd would come off if you did not have a protector on it. But I don't seem to find any information on the RX-1 forums about that so I guess it is not a problem??

Thanks for your recommendations.

wbill

agfa100

Rookie
May 11, 2013
Fairfax, VA
Mutlu,

No it's a camera strap, not a wrist strap easy mistake to make. I have a wrist strap on my old Nex 3, it's ok but I found out I am not a wrist strap kind of guy. So I have stuck with neck straps since then. With that LARMOR lcd protector do you still have the auto brightness work on the lcd screen. I know when I got a screen protector for my old Nex 3 it covered up the sensor for the lcd brightness.

wbill

oliveview

Regular
Dec 9, 2013
Well the owner sent me three batteries plus the OEM hood and the Sony plug in wall charger. I was not expecting the oe hood so I had already ordered the Fotodiox kit with the hand grip and the hood. It also came with a AA camera strap, while a nice strap, too me it seems to big so I have placed a order for a braided leather strap that should be here next week. I really liked your UNX 8118 lens hood it seems to be a copy of the Leica hood for the older 21mm f 3.4 and the Vr 2 28mm hood. Also the camera came with a B+W Uva MRC 010 filter, so except for the EVF and a ND filter and maybe a Pol I should be set. I do have one question do you need to have a protector for the lcd? I know on some cameras the coating on the lcd would come off if you did not have a protector on it. But I don't seem to find any information on the RX-1 forums about that so I guess it is not a problem??

Thanks for your recommendations.

wbill
I never use protectors on short-lifespan items like smart phones, etc. But knowing that I would keep the RX1 for a long time, and knowing that the LCD is (oddly) just plastic, I ordered the matching Sony protector along with the camera. It fits perfectly (of course) and provides all the protection the screen needs. I regularly carry the camera in various pockets in my clothes, and so far the protector has not a single scratch. Obviously, if you're rough with your camera, your mileage will vary. But I think the factory protector is great insurance against a minor scratch, which would otherwise ruin the LCD.

Latest threads

Top Bottom