Micro 4/3 New(ish) M43 reference site

DeeJayK

All-Pro
Name
Keith
Hey all,

I'm new here, but I've been hanging around on this site's wayward sister site, MU-43.org for years and I've lurked here for a while as well.

For those of you who aren't on that other (sadly dying) forum, I figure I'd share a project I've been working on for a few months. It's a new M43-centric wiki that I'm calling TakenWithM43. The vision for the site to build it into the single best source for information on the Micro Four Thirds system.

I've been working at this in my spare time for about 4½ months so far. I recently "completed" the articles on the 68 photo-centric (i.e. not video or drone cameras) bodies that have been produced to date. You can find links to each of these articles from the List of Micro Four Thirds cameras. Each of these articles contains a common format with a relatively comprehensive set of specs, a brief description, downloadable manuals, catalogs and brochures, links to reviews, details of firmware updates, etc. I believe they provide as good a jumping off point to learn about each model as you're likely to find anywhere on the web.

Beyond the camera bodies, the content is still a bit sparse, I think maybe a third of the lenses from Olympus and Panasonic are included. I'll be looking to build out this content over time. Eventually, I'd like to include ALL of the native lenses as well as accessories and such, but that will take some time to accomplish.

Please take a look around and let me know what you think. As this resource is a wiki, if anyone wants to get in on the fun, you're free to create an account and take a crack at editing. Feel free to correct any errors you see or reach out and let me know. I'm also curious if anyone has any ideas of useful content that could be added.

- K

Last edited:
Today I put together a page that shows which Panasonic camera bodies are compatible with which batteries. This is information that I haven't been able to find in a consolidated way anywhere else on the web.

Panasonic camera batteries

I'm working on a similar page for Olympus, but would love to hear any feedback as to whether you find this layout comprehensible/ useful. I'm open to suggestions on ways it can be made more user friendly.

- K

Today I put together a page that shows which Panasonic camera bodies are compatible with which batteries. This is information that I haven't been able to find in a consolidated way anywhere else on the web.

Panasonic camera batteries

I'm working on a similar page for Olympus, but would love to hear any feedback as to whether you find this layout comprehensible/ useful. I'm open to suggestions on ways it can be made more user friendly.

- K
Recently added some similar content to this for Olympus:
If you see any errors or have any recommendations for additions, please let me know.

- K

Just had a look at your site. Looks nice and has already a lot of information.
Just one thing I missed on your page listing the 4/3-sensor cameras: I could not find my small toy that I always carry with me if I just want the "small package" : The Panasonic Lumix LX100.2 .

I don’t currently own a M43 camera, but was very impressed by your reference site. Amazingly complete!

Just had a look at your site. Looks nice and has already a lot of information.
Just one thing I missed on your page listing the 4/3-sensor cameras: I could not find my small toy that I always carry with me if I just want the "small package" : The Panasonic Lumix LX100.2 .

Mike and Walter,
Thank you both for the kind words.

As for the LX100 & LX100 II, for now I'm limiting the scope of the wiki to the Micro Four Thirds interchangeable lens cameras and lenses. There's enough work to do there to keep me out of trouble for a long time, but eventually I'd be open to expanding the scope of the coverage.

- K

I recently added pages for the new OM-1 and GH6.

That brings us to 70 cameras in the M43 system, not including the video-centric and drone cams from the likes of Black Magic, DJI and others which I haven't (yet) gotten around to including.

As always, if you see anything that is incorrect please let me know or feel free to create an account and make any corrections or additions you see fit.

- K

I'm starting to turn my attention to documenting the M43 lens catalog. The first steps in doing so are to create a list of lenses and to develop a framework of what information each individual lens article should include.

To that end, I've started a couple of articles that I'd love to get some feedback on:

List of Micro Four Thirds lenses

Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 300mm f/4 IS PRO

If anyone is so inclined, I'd appreciate if you'd take a look at these two articles and let me know what you think works and what doesn't. If you see any errors or inaccuracies, please let me know or feel free to create an account on the wiki and make any changes you see fit.

- K

I have looked at the 300mm page and it's good, although, in the info side panel I think if you are showing the reach equivalent to 35mm then also show the magnification equivalent as well. Perhaps even going so far as to add the numbers corresponding to the use of tele-converters as well.

I also feel perhaps the application might be birds, wildlife and long lens "macro" rather than generic nature. While it can work for some sports, I feel most benefit more from the MZ40-150pro and PL50-200 or PL200.

Being one of the finest long lenses available for the system I would also like to see images that reflect the more common use cases. Such as birds or wildlife, showing off the fine feather details or fur that other lenses often cant capture. A train doesn't really highlight the ability of the lens as much, while horse racing might be one of the sports that benefits from the reach the images don't really do it justice.

Thanks for the feedback!

I have looked at the 300mm page and it's good, although, in the info side panel I think if you are showing the reach equivalent to 35mm then also show the magnification equivalent as well.
Since this site is focused on M43, I'm a little hesitant to try to put everything into 35mm ("full frame") terms. Focal length seems like a reasonable place to do this, but I'd like to limit it to that if possible, especially since the 2x crop factor makes it pretty easy for users to convert any other numbers they want to in their head.

Perhaps even going so far as to add the numbers corresponding to the use of tele-converters as well.
I don't think I want to put the specs with the teleconverters into the infobox (side panel) since they are optional accessories, but I could see at least the focal length and f-numbers with the teleconverters being useful information to add to the text of the article. I'll add that when I get a chance.

I also feel perhaps the application might be birds, wildlife and long lens "macro" rather than generic nature. While it can work for some sports, I feel most benefit more from the MZ40-150pro and PL50-200 or PL200.
You're right, that the 300/4 might be a little long and a zoom might be more appropriate for sports. I take "nature" to include birds and wildlife, but maybe it doesn't play that way. Really, I've wondered if that "application" parameter even really makes sense to include at all, since every user is going to use the lens in their own way.

Being one of the finest long lenses available for the system I would also like to see images that reflect the more common use cases. Such as birds or wildlife, showing off the fine feather details or fur that other lenses often cant capture. A train doesn't really highlight the ability of the lens as much, while horse racing might be one of the sports that benefits from the reach the images don't really do it justice.
The limitation of sample images, is that I can really only use photos where the copyright owner has explicitly given permission for use. I don't own this particular lenses, so I don't have any images of my own that I can share. In practice, this means that either a user needs to upload an image to the wiki directly or to MediaWiki Commons (here are the images that have been uploaded there).

My intention is to eventually make an effort to solicit images from users, but I'm working on getting many more lens pages built out before I do that. But if you own this lens and have any good sample images you're willing to share, I'd be happy to help you upload them.

- K

Thanks for the feedback!

Since this site is focused on M43, I'm a little hesitant to try to put everything into 35mm ("full frame") terms. Focal length seems like a reasonable place to do this, but I'd like to limit it to that if possible, especially since the 2x crop factor makes it pretty easy for users to convert any other numbers they want to in their head.
I'd personally prefer not to see any comparison to any other formats, yet 35mm has become the default and reference point for many coming from other systems. Anyone that is not yet understanding the crop factor with MFT may find it useful to see the equivalent magnification as well. Especially with lenses that are often promoted for their minimum focal distance and "macro" capabilities.
I don't think I want to put the specs with the teleconverters into the infobox (side panel) since they are optional accessories, but I could see at least the focal length and f-numbers with the teleconverters being useful information to add to the text of the article. I'll add that when I get a chance.
Understand your reasoning here. Will be good to see the info in the main article at least.
You're right, that the 300/4 might be a little long and a zoom might be more appropriate for sports. I take "nature" to include birds and wildlife, but maybe it doesn't play that way. Really, I've wondered if that "application" parameter even really makes sense to include at all, since every user is going to use the lens in their own way.
I like the application idea. Again, for those coming from other systems and learning about MFT, having that description for more common uses is handy. In my opinion.

Nature is a very broad. I would typically think of nature as the outdoors, hiking through the bush I take pictures of nature along side my birding and wildlife. The subjects might be trees, shrubs and bushes, flowers, creeks, rivers, mountains and maybe wildlife are in the scene complimenting it, yet not necessarily the focus. Ultra wides, standards and short telephoto lenses are often more useful for nature. Birds and wildlife are much more defined genres that can fall under the umbrella of nature yet for photographic purposes I feel are distinctly different when searching for a lens to suit, typically a much longer lens is desired.
The limitation of sample images, is that I can really only use photos where the copyright owner has explicitly given permission for use. I don't own this particular lenses, so I don't have any images of my own that I can share. In practice, this means that either a user needs to upload an image to the wiki directly or to MediaWiki Commons (here are the images that have been uploaded there).

My intention is to eventually make an effort to solicit images from users, but I'm working on getting many more lens pages built out before I do that. But if you own this lens and have any good sample images you're willing to share, I'd be happy to help you upload them.

- K
I don't have the MZ300mm myself. Though when you get around to the lenses I do have, I will endeavour to submit images if there are any lacking.

Really appreciate the effort you are going through with this. It's coming along really well.

To that end, I've started a couple of articles that I'd love to get some feedback on:

List of Micro Four Thirds lenses

I've updated this list of lenses (see link above) to include all 95 of the autofocus lenses that have been released for the system. If anyone knows of any I've missed, please let me know.

In the future I'll be looking to add all of the manual focus native M43 lenses to this list as well.

- K

Last edited:
I'd personally prefer not to see any comparison to any other formats, yet 35mm has become the default and reference point for many coming from other systems. Anyone that is not yet understanding the crop factor with MFT may find it useful to see the equivalent magnification as well. Especially with lenses that are often promoted for their minimum focal distance and "macro" capabilities.

Understand your reasoning here. Will be good to see the info in the main article at least.

I like the application idea. Again, for those coming from other systems and learning about MFT, having that description for more common uses is handy. In my opinion.

Nature is a very broad. I would typically think of nature as the outdoors, hiking through the bush I take pictures of nature along side my birding and wildlife. The subjects might be trees, shrubs and bushes, flowers, creeks, rivers, mountains and maybe wildlife are in the scene complimenting it, yet not necessarily the focus. Ultra wides, standards and short telephoto lenses are often more useful for nature. Birds and wildlife are much more defined genres that can fall under the umbrella of nature yet for photographic purposes I feel are distinctly different when searching for a lens to suit, typically a much longer lens is desired.

I don't have the MZ300mm myself. Though when you get around to the lenses I do have, I will endeavour to submit images if there are any lacking.

Really appreciate the effort you are going through with this. It's coming along really well.
I've update the M.ZD 300mm f/4 article based on some of your suggestions. Feel free to take a look and let me know what you think.

- K

I like the changes, though the magnification equivalent to "full frame" is 0.48x. The new images are a better reflection of the more usual use cases for the lens. Overall a nice concise description and page.
I've fixed the 35-e magnification. Not sure how I managed to get that turned around. Thanks for pointing it out.

As for the images, we can thank @Carbonman for his generous offer to include a few of his photos. I agree, they do a much better job of indicating what the lens is capable of.

- K

Back