News / Rumor New king of the superzooms .....

Nov 11, 2011
Milwaukee, WI USA
Luke
The sheer size of this camera is getting into the realm where I might not be happy trying to carry it as often as possible:
View attachment 22899

View attachment 22900

And just to put it into perspective, the FZ200 and P900 next to a Canon SL1 with the Sigma 150-500 attached:

View attachment 22901

Cheers, Jock[/QUOTE]

Thanks for this, Jock. I had previously thought it looked too small and fiddly from the still promotional photos. For me, I prefer a bigger body for ease of handling. To me, size becomes more of an issue when it is HEAVY......and a bridge camera is just never heavy compared to a DSLR with a big quality lens. But I know there are many here who like 'em small.

Biro

Hall of Famer
Aug 7, 2011
Jersey Shore
Steve
I'm another one who thinks weight is much more important than size with bridge cameras like this. Size is a moot point because none of them will ever fit in a pocket. You're going to have to put any of them in some kind of bag or wear it around your neck. But weight is a major consideration. I kind of like a bit of heft. I don't like cameras that feel like hollow pieces of light plastic and some weight adds a feeling of quality and helps stabilize the camera. But I don't want so much weight that hauling it around all day becomes an issue. However, I wish every single bridge camera had weather resistance.

Jock Elliott

Hall of Famer
Jan 3, 2012
Troy, NY
I'm another one who thinks weight is much more important than size with bridge cameras like this. Size is a moot point because none of them will ever fit in a pocket. You're going to have to put any of them in some kind of bag or wear it around your neck. But weight is a major consideration. I kind of like a bit of heft. I don't like cameras that feel like hollow pieces of light plastic and some weight adds a feeling of quality and helps stabilize the camera. But I don't want so much weight that hauling it around all day becomes an issue. However, I wish every single bridge camera had weather resistance.
I'm with you there -- I wish every bridge camera had weather resistance.

According to the specs, the FZ200 weigh about 1.5 pounds and the P900 about two pounds.

Bulk matters to me because I tend to sling my camera bag/pouch cross body so that it hangs at my hip. I don't like it to stick out too far when it hangs there.

Cheers, Jock

Jan 31, 2011
Newcastle, Australia
Sue
Weigh is a huge consideration for me, but I have just discovered a few days ago, that its also about balance. I expected, when I went hands on with a FZ1000, to find that it would be too heavy for me. It weighs about the same as a k5 with kit zoom, which sometimes I find too heavy. But the balance is perfect. I'd want to go hands on before making a decision based on size. its how it actually feels in the hand (well, I won't be going to an 83x at all, but you know what I mean... I hope)

Latest threads

Top Bottom