Leica New Leica Mini M

No surprise:

977947_615467755131264_2026163155_o.jpg

Man that's a slow lens. It better be REAL sharp wide open.

Leica seems to interpret the retro trend different than others. Competition uses retro design to house state of the art technology. Leica puts yesteryears specs and technology in a new body. Not sure this contrarian approach will win.

Nevertheless, they seem to be able to sell all the cameras they can make, and I believe are spending on new manufacturing capacity
( I can't remember where I read that last bit so it needs verifying)

Well it is about half the price I thought it was. The Leica faithful will still buy it.

Still ridiculously expensive though for what it actually is.

I was chatting to one of the guys in the L London shop who was saying that it takes Leica so long to actually bring anything out that it's old technology by the time they do and no one wants it! Oh well, now I have the RX1 I'm not sure that I actually need a Leica of any sort at the moment anyway!

He makes some good points about simplicity and lack of scene modes, etc. I like that.

It does appear to have nice image quality.

AND: he does say it "isn't for people on photography forums"... that's why we're underwhelmed. If you give up your membership in them, you might like the camera I think, lol. Actually I KNOW what he means. He means Ken Rockwell will probably love it.

That said it is interesting what he has NOT said I think: he didn't say he's buying one for himeself -- he said his wife really liked it though.

But bottom line for me at least: it's still WAY, WAY too expensive for what it ACTUALLY IS -- not what it's cache' as a Leica inflates it to. Sometimes Leica stuff reminds me of those little lizards with the huge fans of skin on their head/neck that can look HUGE when they want to, or perhaps a blowfish. Seeming much larger (or more significant) than it actually is.

Yes, that's Leica to me, sorry.

This is literally, the MOST obvious test on the worth of the red dot. If you like everything about this camera, and don't care about red dots, why the HECK not just get a Fuji? Seem to be comparative sizes, built in EVF and a fast kit lens. Of course, I've not seen IQ samples next to each other, but the Fuji is good, so the Leica would have to really be trippy.

Looks like a Canon G1X with a slower lens for about 4-5 times the price. I'm not interested in the G1X at $600, as nice a camera as it turned out to be. I'm overwhelmingly not interested in this one...

I think the only way I'll ever own a Lecia is if I win a lottery and then go for an M9 or Monochrome or the new M-240 and 2-3 NICE lenses. Short of that I don't see any appeal. At that point, I see the appeal, but not at the price. If the price somehow ceased to matter (hence the lottery), I'd love to have the high-end stuff. But I'll never buy a D-Lux 6 instead of an LX7 just to have the red dot...

Edit - Just read Sean Reid's review. Sounds like the lens is slow but excellent. The controls also look really good, with an aperture ring, shutter speed dial, I THINK an exposure comp dial, and a manual focus ring that has end stops, a distance and DOF scale, and, if you turn it past infinity to "A", kicks into auto focus - cool approach. The thing I don't get is how the DOF scale on the lens barrel can work with more than one focal length in the zoom. I'm not sure I read the review carefully enough to say he didn't address that, but I missed it if he did. More appealing than my initial reaction, but nothing I'd spend the money for...

-Ray

Part of me just cannot believe that Leica brought out this camera with these specifications at this price - with a straight face. On the other hand, part of me realizes that's the Leica of today. And I just can't get past the f/6.3 at the long end of that zoom. I'm sure the glass is sharp but even the most pedestrian of kit lenses with that kind of a focal range can manage f/5.6. I'd consider buying a Panasonic-branded version for $700. But, as it stands, if I were a Leicaphile, I'd see this camera as an open insult.

Part of me just cannot believe that Leica brought out this camera with these specifications at this price - with a straight face. On the other hand, part of me realizes that's the Leica of today. And I just can't get past the f/6.3 at the long end of that zoom. I'm sure the glass is sharp but even the most pedestrian of kit lenses with that kind of a focal range can manage f/5.6. I'd consider buying a Panasonic-branded version for $700. But, as it stands, if I were a Leicaphile, I'd see this camera as an open insult.

It's the going thing: Look at Hasselblad with the "Lunar". It's $7000 and it is a Sony NEX-7 in a different wrapper for more than 6 times the price... the Hasselblad "Looney" is what they ought to call it.

Leather, fine wood, etc. do not a camera make, nor a red dot a masterpiece.

It's the going thing: Look at Hasselblad with the "Lunar". It's $7000 and it is a Sony NEX-7 in a different wrapper for more than 6 times the price... the Hasselblad "Looney" is what they ought to call it.

Leather, fine wood, etc. do not a camera make, nor a red dot a masterpiece.

If I owned a Leica today, I'd be asking myself "Is that what this company thinks of me?" I don't wish anything bad on Leica but I also have to wonder if perhaps this is the beginning of the end. A camera like this smacks of total, clueless elitism or desperation - or both. Can Leica continue in the commoditized, Brave New World of the 21st Century?

I think we're taking this all to personal. As Christina stated Leica takes a helluva long time to get anything out (probably a union thing). This has probably been in design, testing, redesign forever ... back to a time when this may have been more palatable. As such Leica probably have many discussions about bringing out a camera which will be distasteful to "photographers" yet swallowed by the well-heeled non-photographic crowd ... or do we just eat all that R&D monies we spent? So it seems that Leica went for getting a return on their investment and probably fired the engineer/manager in charge of the project.

When Nikon produced a lesser camera for the masses, the Nikkormat, at least they called it something different than Nikon. Maybe Leica will use a pink dot.

Gary

Back