Leica New Leica Mono coming soon???

I will be taking a close look.

I think a lot of what I'm seeing might be post-processing and firmware processing.

Some of the pattern noise maybe caused by the mode the camera is operated in.

What I do know for facts: The black level is set to zero by the camera's firmware and the white level is set to 3750 decimal. This is not raw data, but is being processed by the camera. The high ISO 12500 images show fixed pattern noise, ISO 10000 images from the original M Monochrom do not: they show Gaussian noise.

You make very good points about the 12 bit limitation and its effect on reducing grey tones the camera is capable of reproducing.

I'd be very interested to see some controlled testing.

Even if I wanted its new features, I'd still skip a generation. These are VERY expensive toys, and I've only got two years so far on my current $8000 Mono. I see it as a minimum 6 or 8 year product.

I would love to test one just to hunt down the electrical noise/non-uniformity showing up in the High-ISO images. I'd love to test one with the firmware storing 14-bit data to chase down the noise/interference problems in the CMOSIS sensor and associated electronics. I hope Leica isolates the problems, and revises the firmware to store the full output of the sensor. What is getting stored is a scaled and clipped image.

The DNG file of Jono's two-trees image does not have the aura around the trees, is much more uniform than the image as shown on the website.

For anyone thinking about this camera- wait a year for them to get the bugs out. I think there will be more issues out of the gate than the M Monochrom. And it has issues: like shooting in freezing weather and the shutter going nuts. Stupid firmware error that could be fixed if they would give me the source code and compiler. Didn't they ever hear of a "Time-Out"!

Always happy to see Leica releasing new stuff (albeit wish it wasn't so expensive :p ).. especially the monochrom "concept".

I'm especially happy because it presented an opportunity to buy a demo original monochrom for a good price from a local shop. Woohoo! Been saving and saving for the past two years and just couldn't even get to the $8000 mark. With single income family with 3 boys in an old house with old cars, there's always something more pressing...

So while some might be jumping ship... I just got onboard.

Always happy to see Leica releasing new stuff (albeit wish it wasn't so expensive :p ).. especially the monochrom "concept".

I'm especially happy because it presented an opportunity to buy a demo original monochrom for a good price from a local shop. Woohoo! Been saving and saving for the past two years and just couldn't even get to the $8000 mark. With single income family with 3 boys in an old house with old cars, there's always something more pressing...

So while some might be jumping ship... I just got onboard.
You will love it.

I suspect there will be a learning curve to get the best out of the M246- Jono's new High-ISO look cleaner than the earlier DNG's posted for download by him and Thorsten.

I would like to know the backstory of why 80% of the pixel values have been truncated. It is evident that fixed-pattern noise can creep into the image, first suspect is that it stands out in a full 14-bit image. I hated DNG-8. Think of this as DNG-Eleven and four-fifths. Not quite 12 bits.

You will love it.

Just shot a bit with it.... I absolutely love it. I think I am taking to this Monochrom even better than the M9. I'd post some photos in the image thread but the subject doesn't like photos being posted online. I am amazed how far I can push even in terrible light.

Now comes the hard part... gotta sell a few items to make up the last bit of the cost. I guess it may be time for me to part with the ol'M8... maybe a few other things as well.

To bring this back to the topic.... I'm still happy with my M9. After shooting with the MM, I really can't see any obvious reasons to go to the newer Monochrom (cost aside). Probably be happy with the MM and M9 for quite a while.

usayit - congrats on the new (old) MM. I picked up a used one a few months ago and I really like it, at some point I want to pick up a used M9P so that I can still take color images. The only features on the 240 based bodies that I wish the CCD models had are adapting R lenses and GPS, though those aren't deal breakers for me.

usayit - congrats on the new (old) MM. I picked up a used one a few months ago and I really like it, at some point I want to pick up a used M9P so that I can still take color images. The only features on the 240 based bodies that I wish the CCD models had are adapting R lenses and GPS, though those aren't deal breakers for me.

I bought my M Monochrom almost exactly two-years-ago and still absolutely love it. For color I used a Nikon Df (great camera) with some fantastic lenses including what is probably my favorite "people lens" of all, the Nikon 58mm f/1.4G. Still, I always wanted to use the Monochrom, but for family and travel shots my wife and daughter insist on color. I sold the Nikon and all of its glass to fund a brand-new M-E (about the same price as a nice used M9-P) and couldn't be happier.

The only thing I would want from the M240 is the better high-ISO, but in low light I usually (not always) prefer black and white anyway, and for those low-light color moments (candlelight portraits, for instance) the M-E with a fast lens at ISO 1600 is likely close enough for reasonable print sizes or photo books.
I honestly see no need to look at the current M24x generation and maybe won't even bother with the next generation either. If I really need high-ISO color beyond ISO 1600 my X113 looks great at ISO 3200 and with its f/1.7 lens doesn't need much light.

I don't havy any complaints about the M9 at ISO2500. I make sure to use 4x SD cards and let the buffer clear. Remember you have ~0.5s for the analog signal to clear the chip. During that time, it is subject to electrical interference. And always turn off your cell phone. Always. Someone might be taking a picture...

15568143305_f8ddf92b5c_o.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
Marine Museum, Quantico by fiftyonepointsix, on Flickr

Last edited by a moderator:
It is also worth trying ISO640 at EV-2 and push in Post-Processing, much like using the M8 in Raw mode. Results probably vary by individual camera and shooting habits. This has to do with analog pre-amp settings vs 14-bits of digital range. I would use a smaller card, I like 8GByte 4x Sandisk. Use a fully charged battery. Post the results, I will try next time shooting limited light.

Back