Leica New Leica Noctilux-M 75mm f/1.25 ASPH

Canon and others have had fast portrait telephoto's around for a while- will be interesting to see if sales come anywhere near the 50/0.95.
I have a difficult enough time with my Canon 85/1.5 for accurate focus. I never went with a Nikkor 85/1.4 on the F2 and Df- stuck with the 85/2 and 85/1.8.

I am content with the Summilux 75/1.4. Using the lens at 1.4 means that I must chosen between an eye in focus (or the other eye) or nose or forehead or .... the dof is too shallow. The 75/1.25 must be "worse".

DOF can be spread out by over-correcting or under-correcting for spherical aberration. The Canon 85/1.5 plays this "trick", otherwise would have less DOF than the 75/1.25.

I love using the legendary Canon 85/1.5. It is a very special lens by Canon. Using it on a digtal camera allows us to quickly correct any focus issues. Digital cameras brought such lenses "added value" since these lenses became more useful.

75mm at f1.25 - that will be some thin DOF. The times I could really use f1.25 at 75mm might be ... one in a thousand?

Back