Micro 4/3 New lens is up: Panasonic Leica 9mm f1.7 (Rectilinear).

I was about to ask what you'd use a 9mm (or 18mm equivalent) lens for, then read its specs.

Flowers! That thing's going to be utterly magnificent at close-ups of flowers.

I often have to use wide lenses like this for capturing street art in alley ways or between buildings.
I think I'd like this, but I already have the Oly 9-18. Not sure I need the f/1.7....but you never can tell. Would like to see some early reviews and get some real world image samples to see.

I was about to ask what you'd use a 9mm (or 18mm equivalent) lens for, then read its specs.

An ultra-wide lens (usually thought of as wider than about 11mm - 22 equiv - I guess) is useful for a lot of things. Probably the most use is for "architecture" and "real-estate" photography - i.e. inside rooms where you want to get a lot of the room in the shot. Or big rooms like cathedrals, etc. They are also very useful for taking shots of stars (especially the Milky Way). With such a wide lens you can take longer exposures without worring too much about the stars blurring (streaking) from the rotation of the earth. For closeups of flowers, I think that regular focal lengths (say 40-whatever) are more useful, unless you want some of the background showing along with the flower.

It looks like it could be a very compelling lens and fills one of the last major gaps on M43--UWA rectilinear prime with AF. Should be good for a lot of things, and something I'd been wishing on for a while now. The 9-18 is a great option, but a 9mm Leica should be excellent.

If I was into astro photography I'd be all over it. But since I'm not I'll pass. I don't need wide/speed, another reason I didn't mind going from the PL8-18 f/2.8-4.0 to the 8-24 f/4 Pro.

But it is a nice addition to the lineup. I image it will be a hot seller.

Picked up a 9mm today. Didn’t get a chance to shoot any scapes so posting a desktop close up. Had to take the hood off to alleviate the shadow. Acuity in tight looks pretty good.
P9180050.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Micro43nerds review

This one I think I will get!

It would probably be a match made in heaven with the 14-140.
I pair mine with my Lumix 12-35 f2.8 II, & the Oly 45. Not too much you can't shoot with that little combo. If I'm looking for completely weathersealed, the Siggy 56 1.4 replaces the Oly 45. Fabulous lightweight yet exceedingly capable little kit

This is how I shoot a fastish ultrawide around that focal length. Fabulous fun
trestle 1.jpg
Dennis.jpg
P1077472.jpg
proud.jpg
Dennis 2.jpg
25866595747.jpg

I'll be receiving my copy of the new 9mm and I'm super excited. I had a bit of G.A.S. last week and also picked up a copy of the Sigma 56mm f/1.4 at the same time and it should be delivered this afternoon.
I can honestly say the P 9mm f/1.7 is amazing. The close focusing is over the top.

Back