New most expensive photograph record :)

me again

Andrew, maybe you should pick out some images from the vast collection on this site.
Make a deal with the members and then have images you personally relate to.
That's an investment in each others souls. What better way to fill a few walls?

Pete...... Ya got it.....
Don

thanks Donny,

Andrew, I would buy one of your pics in a heart beat.... the one called Winter Tree on your flickr site is simply wonderful, just beautiful to me (and I use that term here on purpose). Good luck in filling those walls. Me, mine are all filled with my own stuff. How vain is that...

And how do you determine what to spend on art?

I've bought a lot of art.
If you look at a piece and think "I can't live without it" and you can afford to buy it, then that's what it's worth.
I would really really like a particular Bill Brandt print ... in fact, it's the only photograph I would buy to hang on my wall ... but at $11000 it's not worth it; at $3000 it would probably be worth it. To someone else, $11K might be a bargain ...
I have no idea what the art market is like in the US, but what I do know is I never paid the wall price in a gallery - 10-20% has always been negotiable.

I've traded with a lot of good photographers over the last year and even a couple of painters.

Michael and Don, I've traded pictures before, but our main interest is in paintings, drawings, prints and other forms of non-photographic art. I just don't know that many artists who do those kinds of work.

Personally i don't think you are going to find too many galleries with affordable prices.

That's the challenge. Without going to a gallery where does one find a good selection of art??? But, having said that, there are good, reasonably priced galleries out there. It seems to me that it takes a gallery owner/curator with a keen eye for good talent outside of the mainstream. And to a good extent, a gallery owner who is more interested in the art than the selling of it (but still knows how to run a business). An old art teacher of mine from grade school was one such gallery owner. She has passed on, but when in Texas I would visit her gallery and I have a few pieces from it. She was an artist herself.

Andrew, I would buy one of your pics in a heart beat.... the one called Winter Tree on your flickr site is simply wonderful, just beautiful to me (and I use that term here on purpose). Good luck in filling those walls. Me, mine are all filled with my own stuff. How vain is that...

Thanks Pete. I had to look that one up :confused: That was an iPhone pic and I don't know how well it would print. So far I've not had much luck printing iPhone pictures.

I do have some of my own Polaroids framed, but they are not hung yet. Still looking for the right spot.

Andrew, there's many ways to acquire what you want. I did and still do trade with artist. I will shoot copies, slides, digital files for artist in return for works. It's not just starving artist that will do this.
I have Burko's, Bolotowsky, Jime Dine, Bill Richards, Bertoia and many more in my collection.
So maybe you should think about that. Now, it's much easier and cheaper for photographers as its all digital.
Of course don't get divorced cause the ex takes much of it.

Andrewteee trying to find up and coming painters is extremely hard. My girlfriend is friends with Maripol. I'm not sure if you know who she is but it kills me to go to her loft and see paintings and drawings by Basquiat, Scharf, Warhol, Koons, Schnabel that were gifts.

If the guy can get this kind of money, more power to him.
My question would be to the buyer. How do you justify spending this amount of money for your personal satisfaction? In the state of the worlds economy, that kind of money could feed, house and provide needed medical care for many.

So buyer, please think about that as you sit and gaze upon your latest acquisition.

Worlds millions starve... but I'm betting this guy wont have the piece on display. It will be stored carefully and you'll find it coming up for auction in a few years when it will fetch more than it did today. This isnt about art appreciation, its about investment. Betcha.

Worlds millions starve... but I'm betting this guy wont have the piece on display. It will be stored carefully and you'll find it coming up for auction in a few years when it will fetch more than it did today. This isnt about art appreciation, its about investment. Betcha.

I agree with you and a few previous posters in this thread.

I don't believe quality of an art piece could be measured with a price. The price of an art piece only depicts its value in the business world and not in the art world. The moment an art piece has a price tag put on, it becomes another product. In this case, the author reputation is equivalent to a strong 'brand name' which, imo, has also contributed to the high price tag.

Back