New old guy!

Hello Everyone. My name is Chuck and I live in Fort Wayne, Indiana. I'm 52 (soon to be 53). I've been married for 32 years. I have two daughters, and a cantankerous cat. I've worked in the commercial floor covering industry for 28 years, primarily in sales. Over that time, I've done about anything and everything related to floor covering, including installation. I work with architects, interior designers, flooring contractors, flooring mechanics (installers), facilities managers, and facility owners to specify, sell, and provide support after the sale to our customers.

I've recently had a few health issues related to my years of working in the industry on and off my knees and as a result have gone on a serious personal mission to finally lose weight and improve my health. I've had two significant, spinal related surgeries in the past 3 years, and I've decided not to do that again if I can at all avoid it. :)

As part of my mission, I started walking this past summer and tried to find an activity that I could do outdoors that would "seem" like exercise but would help me achieve my goal to shed some pounds. I began my journey at 370 lbs. To date, I'm down to 297. Still have lots of progress to make, but I'm proud of what I've accomplished so far.

I ended up getting a drone and subsequently my Part 107A Commercial drone pilots license. After doing that a bit, I had the thought that maybe when I retired in a few years, with my contacts in construction, I could do something with drone photography/videography such as roofing inspections, or real estate photography. That led me to get a camera (Panasonic Lumix G7) and start to learn about photography a bit. I was very quickly hooked on the technology side (I'm also the IT guy for our company) and I've started to become a gear nut. That led me to buy a Pansonic Lumix G95, and then to take an even bigger step a month later and get an OM-1. Of course, a camera body doesn't work too well without lenses, and all the little other "necessities". I tend to buy gently used equipment over new and so far I am having an absolute blast of a time!

As part of my job, I do a lot of teaching, but I also love to learn and after reading through several of the threads here, I came to the conclusion that this appears to be an inviting community with a lot of combined knowledge that I could learn from! I can't believe how photography has really changed my life in such a short time. I went from sitting at a desk all day at work and coming home to my home office and sitting at a desk until I went to bed, to trying to walk our local trails each night even if it's only for 45 minutes to an hour (It's been getting dark here at about 5:30-5:45). I'm at the point where if I don't get to do that I feel horrible! I've also learned that taking pictures that make me happy, or inspired, or even frustrateed (that's when I learn things right?) is what photography is about to me, and if I share something and people like it, then that's just a bonus!

So, here I am. I'm pretty easy going and laid back and as you can probably tell I'm very much an open book. With me what you see is what you get!

I love to help people and if I can ever help anyone here with any flooring related questions, please let me know!

Looking forward to spending time here and getting to know everyone! Thank you for the space, letting me join you here, and may you get many "keepers" on your next walk!

Last edited:
Epic congratulations on the nearly 25% weight loss, Chuck!

Geez, I thought I was doing well, going from 84.8 Kgs this time last year, to 72.6 Kgs this morning, about 17% loss. At least I'm now within the healthy range for all the metrics, just another 2.6 Kgs to go until I reach my target weight of 70 Kgs. That's roughly what I was in my mid-twenties. I'm now 76.5 y.o.

Anyway, wishing you all the best with your further weight loss.
And, my Doctor keeps encouraging me to walk for my osteoporosis, osteoarthritis and other health problems.

I've managed to average about 2,700 steps a day for the last year, and I'm averaging about 217 minutes of activity per week for the year (the recommended minimum of moderate activity is 150 minutes per week). My daily targets are 3,000 steps and 22 minutes of activity (minimum). I've well and truly exceeded these targets for the last 4 months.

Best thing I ever did was buy us each a Fitbit watch, and a highly accurate bathroom scale (±100 grams advertised, but more like ±50 grams in careful use) that communicates with my tablet via Bluetooth.

Epic congratulations on the nearly 25% weight loss, Chuck!

Geez, I thought I was doing well, going from 84.8 Kgs this time last year, to 72.6 Kgs this morning, about 17% loss. At least I'm now within the healthy range for all the metrics, just another 2.6 Kgs to go until I reach my target weight of 70 Kgs. That's roughly what I was in my mid-twenties. I'm now 76.5 y.o.

Anyway, wishing you all the best with your further weight loss.
And, my Doctor keeps encouraging me to walk for my osteoporosis, osteoarthritis and other health problems.

I've managed to average about 2,700 steps a day for the last year, and I'm averaging about 217 minutes of activity per week for the year (the recommended minimum of moderate activity is 150 minutes per week). My daily targets are 3,000 steps and 22 minutes of activity (minimum). I've well and truly exceeded these targets for the last 4 months.

Best thing I ever did was buy us each a Fitbit watch, and a highly accurate bathroom scale (±100 grams advertised, but more like ±50 grams in careful use) that communicates with my tablet via Bluetooth.
That's wonderful progress! My doctor keeps reminding me that it's not about the speed or the number, it's about the trend. Downward is good! I bought the same two items when I started this and you are correct. It provides some acountability and a more realistic idea of what you're doing than just guessing for sure! Thanks for sharing and wish you the best in your journey as well.

Welcome, Chuck, and glad to make your acquaintance! I worked for about a year in a previous life as a carpet cleaning tech, and I have some friends still in the carpet and rug business... that's the extent of my floor covering knowledge!

Congrats on the weight loss too. I weighed about 50 lbs heavier at one point in the last decade, having slowly put it on and then finally started taking it off again... it can feel like forever but it's worth doing and pays dividends for sure!

Enjoy the photography!

Welcome Chuck from another DownUnder bloke.
You've done well with your weight loss, I endured that when late teens and it takes dedication.

Glad you got your sentence structure right with the use of "cantankerous" with 3 females looking over your shoulder. :p

You certainly have a busy schedule, but getting time out and about can be so rewarding in many ways.

So post away and enjoy the forum and all it has to offer

Back