New Panasonic LX5 user

Yeats

All-Pro
Name
Chris
Howdy, all. I am a new Panasonic LX5 user, and soon-to-be ex-Pentaxian. I'm impressed with the usability of the LX5 - it reminds me of the old Canon Powershot A series - though am still struggling to find the most satisfactory color settings.

Thanks for the welcome, Country Parson. My photographic mojo has been hibernating for a little while, and I'm hoping that new photographic tools will help me get it back.

Welcome Yeats!

And just so you know, I understand completely that color challenge the LX5 offers... If memory serves me, one can use the Auto white balance option in Lightroom to help get the yellow out, if that's what is bothering you. When I first got my LX5 it drove me crazy...then I got used to dealing with it and the process became second nature. I still do not know why Panasonic seems to have that color thing going on... Perhaps others more technically knowledgable will weigh in?

I look forward to seeing you work your mojo.:drinks:

Thanks, BBW. :)

Yeah, it's the yellows, but its also the way the colors relate to one another... I guess I'm just so dialed in to my Pentax lenses that I'm a bit inflexible! :dash2:

I am, however, impressed with the LX5's level of detail even in JPG, with NR set to -2, and contrast, sharpness and saturation set to -1, 0, 0 respectively. I also have the AWB set to be slightly warm. The resultant JPG files are eminently editable. :D

I see your location is "Just outside of NYC", I'm in NJ (Sussex County) and the weather has been mostly cloudy and rainy since I received the LX5 on Saturday. :(

I do remember being disturbed by the colors...but Streetshooter AKA Don Springer helped me get around it and I think I ended up with some pretty nice photographs with that camera - if I do say so myself.;) So hang in there! What are you using for post processing software? Certain types are awfully helpful. I believe I shot the LX5 in RAW...so I can't really speak to in camera settings. Ray is very good with the LX5, as are some others but Ray is around here more often than some of the other folks who I recall having the LX5.

We live in Westchester County in NY, near Playland Amusement Park...but plan on moving northward ho into Litchfield County, CT in the spring...if all goes as hoped for. At least it's not hot as you know what and not excessively humid today...though I can feel the humidity rising... This summer has been so weird just about everywhere!

I do remember being disturbed by the colors...but Streetshooter AKA Don Springer helped me get around it and I think I ended up with some pretty nice photographs with that camera - if I do say so myself.;) So hang in there! What are you using for post processing software? Certain types are awfully helpful. I believe I shot the LX5 in RAW...so I can't really speak to in camera settings. Ray is very good with the LX5, as are some others but Ray is around here more often than some of the other folks who I recall having the LX5.

We live in Westchester County in NY, near Playland Amusement Park...but plan on moving northward ho into Litchfield County, CT in the spring...if all goes as hoped for. At least it's not hot as you know what and not excessively humid today...though I can feel the humidity rising... This summer has been so weird just about everywhere!

It has, but I don't want to complain, seeing what the poor folks in the midwest and other parts of the country are going thru with the drought.

I checked this out a couple days ago when I first stumbled upon Serious Compacts. The first time I ever saw a camera compared to a can of baked beans... :D

...So hang in there! What are you using for post processing software? Certain types are awfully helpful. I believe I shot the LX5 in RAW...so I can't really speak to in camera settings. Ray is very good with the LX5, as are some others but Ray is around here more often than some of the other folks who I recall having the LX5.

I'm using Photoshop CS6, so my RAW converter is ACR. I've done a few searches on Google for LX5 RAW conversion tips, but not too much luck. I've seen several references to a Huelight color profile, but it looks like the creator has dropped the project.

Welcome to Serious Compacts! I still have an LX5 but haven't used it in a while. I did get some good pics with mine so I was mightily impressed with the little camera. I've never shot in RAW with any of my cameras ... maybe I should try it some time. Hmmm a month in RAW ... maybe September. Anyhow, glad to have you on board!

Back