Fuji New pancake zoom

I'm quite taken with it on paper. Given that I am primarily a prime user a small, good quality "travel zoom" with a decent wide end that won't see a huge amount of use but is there when I need it is really appealing to the extent that I'd seriously consider bed-and-breakfasting my venerable, larger, heavier 18-55 for one...

That's my only hangup... power zoom. But -shrug- if they're cheap, and sharp, and small, hell it would be an awesome travel lens, with the rokinon 12 and/or 35 f1.4 in the bag too.

When I use a zoom I move the FOL around a lot so Im wondering what that will do to battery life.

^ True. This zoom gets you a LOT more flexibility, whereas the Rok's get you f2. For daytime work, the pancake XC is probably going to be a serious, cheap workhorse.

If it is small and light, and capable of decent quality in good conditions it will have a place in my travel bag. For the relatively light use it would get alongside my other lenses I can forgive it a compromise or two, like slower apertures and non- WR. It's just the power-zoomyness that slightly concerns me...

Will be interesting to see it compared to the 16-50mm kit zoom. It doesn't look that much smaller, but that might mean that it's not as compromized optically as for instance the Sony 16-50mm pancake.

Bear in mind that it's hard to judge from the limited images we have seen thus far. However the filter size is an encouraging 52mm so I think it will be significantly shorter and more squat than the 16-50

B&H has it up for preorder. Look's like it is $299.95. The specs have it at 4.8 ounces 2.46 x 1.74 vs 6.88 ounces 2.46 x 2.57" of the 16-50. So it should be noticeably smaller than the 16-50.

Back