New Peak Design hand strap (Kickstarter)

L0n3Gr3yW0lf

Hall of Famer
Name
Ovi
https://www.kickstarter.com/project...icro+Clutch+Kickstarter+Launch&rjnrid=1MlDPrb

Untitled.jpg

Not sure if you peeps noticed this, I just got it in my email (I have backed a few Kickstarters in the past). It seems something I would be quite interested in, currently, I have a simple hand loop stuck to the right side strap lug that I wrap around my wrist. I think I might find it quite useful for my Sony a7 Mark IV.

What do you peeps think, would it be worth it (yus, I know 50 $ seems a bit high but Peak Design has a good reputation for build quality). After buying the Small Rig L bracket I did not feel that the high cost was too much (great build quality and very good quality of life improvements like battery latch, the built-in magnetic key to screw/unscrew the grip and slot to store the key, hallowed parts to lower the overall weight, Arca Swiss compatible)

I find the Spider Holster mirrorless hand strap to be wonderful (although also overpriced, plus their shipping costs are insane). Its main features are that it works with my own Arca plate and doesn't block the battery compartment.

The only issue I have is the connection to the bottom of the camera. I think it may block the battery compartment for some cameras. Even though it has a release to access it still a bit clunky.
I have the PD wrist strap and it works fine so doubt I'd upgrade.

Last edited:
Hand straps are not for me. Tried a few and I need to be able to drop the camera in an instant - so sling straps are still king.

It will probably do well for them, as PD seems to have quite the following.

I’ve found that they seem to be a bit overpriced compared to what else you can get in the market. Everything (camera bags) I’ve ever bought from them I have divested from and either have something from China or have gotten a ThinkTank/Mindshift alternative.

Looks OK.
Unless I am wrong I could not see an arca swiss dovetail on the base. If that is the case it may cost them some sales.

I have settled on PD wrist straps, like the original version best as the newer ones have too much metal which can lead to camera scratches.

I do have a PD wrist strap I use pretty often. I think I prefer a wrist strap over this, at least for preventing drops. It seems to me this would not be all that helpful in that case as unlike a wrist strap, the camera could still slip off your hand. Maybe. They already have 10x the cash, so it will sell well apparently.

I also have a PD neck strap I seldom use. While the PD products are well made, in hindsight I think maybe they are somewhat overpriced. If I needed another strap of some kind I might try another maker.

Back