Micro 4/3 New Pen Leaked

I'm cautiously optimistic, maybe even pessimistic... It looks like it might be dumbed down a little with the selfie-facing screen, like the EPL and EP lines have merged. We'll see!

I am glad they are continuing the Pen line. I still grab my EP-5 a lot.
Hope they find a niche and sell a lot. It would be a shame to see them fail.

This model does seem like a future winner for Olympus. A true EP5 successor. Since it's an E-P and not E-PL I would expect it to have the better IBIS. Hopefully it's as good as in Pen-F.

It may not have an EVF but with a tilty screen (instead of a fully articulating one) it's already miles ahead of other recent Olympus releases.

The top dials seem "Pen-F quality" which spells good. But I am not seeing a threaded shutter release -- another useless release after all?

What would make this really interesting (a) and interesting to me (b).

A. If the popup on the left is an EVF and not a flash. For an add on EVF they would need to add back or add a new connection port like those from pre 2014 (?) cameras. But all, I believe, current Olympus bodies already have the 4th power pin for an add on flash. So why not a pop up? It would make statement.

B. An EVF, Phase AF, and weather sealing. The last being the only one I think I could still be interested in without since most of the glass I would use with it isn't sealed anyway.

What would make this really interesting (a) and interesting to me (b).

A. If the popup on the left is an EVF and not a flash. For an add on EVF they would need to add back or add a new connection port like those from pre 2014 (?) cameras. But all, I believe, current Olympus bodies already have the 4th power pin for an add on flash. So why not a pop up? It would make statement.

B. An EVF, Phase AF, and weather sealing. The last being the only one I think I could still be interested in without since most of the glass I would use with it isn't sealed anyway.
Heck, I'd take the phase AF and EVF and call it a day. Fine to skip the built in flash. Not something I use

I know maybe this is contrarian, but seeing these images of the new E-P7... makes me remember why, for many years, the camera I really wanted to get my hands on was an E-P5. A number of photographers I admire used to speak, in almost glowing terms, about the many unsung cool facets of the E-P5.

Hmmmmm........
Better hurry. I've noticed the price of used cameras seems to be climbing all around us. $600 for a Fuji X100S? Yikes.

Back