Film New Port Mill

The New Port Mill is an abandoned mill in the woods a couple of miles from my house. I've always struggled to get pictures that really capture it. Here are a few taken with the ZI/Summicron 50 and my usual EDU 100 film:
NewPortMill 1.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Front View

NewPortMill 2.jpg

Wood Shop Entrance

NewPortMill 3.jpg

NewPortMill 4.jpg

Old machine parts. You can see some of the remains of the wooden teeth in the large wheel. It was a lot easier to replace broken teeth than to replace an entire wheel.

NewPortMill 5.jpg

Remains of the dam that supplied water power to the mill.

Nicely done. I'll bet it would be interesting to take some long exposure shots under a full moon, emphasize the haunting aspect.

Sounds like a good idea, probably have to wait till winter, as the mill is under a fairly dense leaf canopy right now.
I wonder how some night shots with flash would look? I almost never use flash, might be a nice experiment.

Sounds like a good idea, probably have to wait till winter, as the mill is under a fairly dense leaf canopy right now.
I wonder how some night shots with flash would look? I almost never use flash, might be a nice experiment.
Might be interesting to put one or more flash units inside the building (have to watch out for safety concerns in old buildings!). the flashes could illuminate the window openings. Might be kinda eerie.

Back