Fuji New Posts seems pretty useless

When I open the forums and click on New Posts I only get stuff that is new since I last visited. Sometimes I drop in, see a couple of dozen items, get interrupted and shut my browser. Coming back a short while later I see maybe 2 or 3 'New Posts'.

On most forums I use the equivalent search defaults to showing at least one day's worth of items. To get this I have to use Advanced Search, set to find anything since yesterday (or sometimes even earlier), tell it to sort by date, have a stiff drink and then hit search.

I can't see how to save this search as a default, although there's a button that looks like it should.

Am I missing something? This actually makes FujiXspot less attractive to me than some other forums.

Also, the way that I can't add an avatar until I've made 100 (or whatever) posts also makes it harder to scan a thread and pick up from where I last posted.

Agree, it's annoying and makes me miss plenty of posts. "New Posts" should show everything that I haven't fully read, not just new stuff since my last visit. It's the same problem at seriouscompacts.com.

Agree, it's annoying and makes me miss plenty of posts. "New Posts" should show everything that I haven't fully read, not just new stuff since my last visit. It's the same problem at seriouscompacts.com.

Have you ever been to a forum where it wasn't this way? If so, let me know where, and I'll try to figure out how they're doing what they're doing. As far as I know, this is a limitation of vBulletin. Jay's suggestions are good ones. There are several ways to see the latest posts.

Amin, I do't want to send anyone somewhere else BUT, on fujixseries if you are reading a thread it shows say 10 posts for example, the next time you go to the site if there are more posts the number is highlighted and takes you to the next unread post. Works great. It's the only forum I've ever seen that does it.

Joe

Amin, I do't want to send anyone somewhere else BUT, on fujixseries if you are reading a thread it shows say 10 posts for example, the next time you go to the site if there are more posts the number is highlighted and takes you to the next unread post. Works great. It's the only forum I've ever seen that does it.

Joe

That site uses totally different software, so I'm not surprised it works differently.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Have you ever been to a forum where it wasn't this way? If so, let me know where, and I'll try to figure out how they're doing what they're doing. As far as I know, this is a limitation of vBulletin. Jay's suggestions are good ones. There are several ways to see the latest posts.

Probably not much help, but I did notice when viewing theforum in tapatalk, it tracks "unread" posts, which would be tje desired behavior. Not sure if that's implemented server side or only in the tapatalk client though.

I did a cursory search and it does look like there are at a minimum some vbulletin plugins for this, not sure how complicated it'd be to implement without digging in further:

Miscellaneous Hacks - Display Unread Posts - vBulletin.org Forum

Probably not much help, but I did notice when viewing the forum in tapatalk, it tracks "unread" posts, which would be tje desired behavior. Not sure if that's implemented server side or only in the tapatalk client though.

I did a cursory search and it does look like there are at a minimum some vbulletin plugins for this, not sure how complicated it'd be to implement without digging in further:

Miscellaneous Hacks - Display Unread Posts - vBulletin.org Forum

Thanks for searching for answers, Joe. It is really great that people invest their time by making suggestions for improvement. But it is even more impressive when people search for solutions! We cannot expect Amin to solve everything (unless he turns his hobby into a profession, of course ;-) ; I am always amazed how people manage to run fora like this besides their day jobs and family lives!).

Unfortunately I cannot contribute anything but I'll ask a colleague - who is more technically developed, so to speak - if he's familiar with vBulletin and has some suggestions.

Peter

All vBulletin forums I use except for yours, actually. Examples: http://finepix.de/forums/de/forum.php, Fuji X Forum, http://www.dslr-forum.de/index.php.

I think I figured out the difference. There is a setting called "Thread/Forum Read Marking Type"

The options are explained in this thread: Thread/Forum Read Marking Type - vBulletin.org Forum

I've always used option #1 because it is the least server intensive (I want the sites to be fast) and is least likely to corrupt the database. I'll try switching it to option #3 and see how that goes.

Amin, I didn't want you to think I was dissatisfied. I only made the suggestion because I thought others were looking for it. As they say, whatever floats your boat.

Joe

Thanks, Joe. I found your suggestion helpful. Just wanted to make it clear that our software may not give me the same options as theirs (and vice versa).

Back