Pentax New Q Announced

I wonder if these have more composite/plastic bits on the body to keep down costs? I definitely prefer the look of the original (and it feels solid in hand).

The Q10 is $399 MSRP, so it's starting much cheaper. I understand your point, but the Q needed to be at a lower price point. I'm curious about the new 14-45 f2.8 zoom.

The Q10 is $399 MSRP, so it's starting much cheaper. I understand your point, but the Q needed to be at a lower price point....

I totally agree with you on the price point. It just didn't make sense for many people at the original price.

I am happy to see that they did not discontinue the mount... I thought it was going to get cancelled, based on the original Q fire sales.

It seems they are trying to make a go of it. That new zoom gives us a real telephoto at 2.8 and it's amazingly small. Someone on another forum joked about putting the new q to k adaptor on the Q10 followed by the new DA 560 for a 3080 equivalent.

I just saw a higher price, $599 with the 5-15 zoom. I can't remember which site I saw that price on, but it;s clealry wrong. Maybe the price in pounds? Anyway, sorry for the confusion.

Pentax Q 8.5mm & 5-15mm lenses for £311

Pentax Q in the UK is now available with 8.5mm & 5-15mm lenses for £311 at Tesco Direct. Looks like a pretty good price to me.

Pentax Q in the UK is now available with 8.5mm & 5-15mm lenses for £311 at Tesco Direct. Looks like a pretty good price to me.

SRS in Watford sell the Q with the 02 5-15mm lens for £179, and the 01 8.5mm for £119, so a combo would be Just £298. SRS are a main Pentax agent, I buy a lot of stuff from them.

Pentax Q Cameras - Compact System Cameras - SRS Microsystems

Pentax 01 Standard Prime Lens for Q-Series Cameras - UNBOXED - Only £119.00 - SRS Microsystems

Chris

Theres a rumour in pentaxforums that Ricoh/Pentax may well increase the sensor size to 1/1.7 in the next Q iteration. After much discussion over there, the pundits decided that the existing lenses would also work with that sized sensor, because they have a larger focus area than the existing sensor requires. If they would give an evf alongside it, I would be interested.

Theres a rumour in pentaxforums that Ricoh/Pentax may well increase the sensor size to 1/1.7 in the next Q iteration. After much discussion over there, the pundits decided that the existing lenses would also work with that sized sensor, because they have a larger focus area than the existing sensor requires. If they would give an evf alongside it, I would be interested.

The question is at what cost to IQ? The larger focus area means the smaller sensor is covered by the sweet center. Even though the lens might cover a larger center, I wonder how well it will hold up at the edges.

I'd be interested in a new Q body with a 1/1.17" sensor. I even like the slightly wider field of view I would get with my Q-mount lenses. But I'd still keep my original, magnesium-bodied Q for fun telephoto experiments.

Well, with B&H having all the new pentax cameras up for pre-order, I've dropped a Q7 twin lens kit into my wishlist, and will add the prime and viewfinder as well. I feel fairly confident that with its Ricoh parentage, the IQ will be fine.

[edit] sigh.. wishlists on B&H *and* Adorama

The new Q seems like a nice product. Hope it sells well. That way it will get invited to the next mirrorless party and won't have to hangout with that loser EOSM. ;)

Back