New Reflex Film SLR

There is a small but diehard film community. A look at B&H film camera offerings (35 mm) listed a Nikon F6, a Leica MA/P, and a Voigtlander Bessa Rangefinder.

I'm not sure the film camera needed to be "updated". In addition to the handful of fine cameras that are STILL BEING MANUFACTURED, there are a GAZILLION old ones that work fine.

I'm sure this will be "successful" with Kickstarter dreamers, but at a price of $638 for "the starter kit" of a reflex body and a standard prime, I'm not sure who is the target....surely not kids signing up for an introduction to photography class.

I agree with Luke. From everywhere I have been looking online and such, the clamor is a traditional, analogue controlled(dedicated dials for exposure controls instead of generic dials or menu diving) camera body with a good digital sensor(1" to 135 size) in it. SLR style or even more is a rangefinder style with true rangefinder focusing. Leica you say? Yes, I know of it, but I know of very few that afford a proper one like an M9.

I believe this is why there is such a rush to see what Yashica was doing with the Y35 on Kickstarter. Even plastic, if it has a decent sensor and the analog trappings....there is a want for that.

I'm not in the target audience, but I hope it succeeds. I enjoy shooting film, but I prefer simplicity in my cameras. A digital Olympus 35RC, with the bare minimum controls and no video, would be my dream camera.

Well, the interchangeable film backs open the possibility of one of them eventually being a digital back of some kind/size. Coupled with the ability to switch mounts on the fly, plus modern acknowledgements like continuous LED lighting, you've got the makings of what many photographers have been looking for - an interchangeable mount, programmable camera with analog controls and a good optical viewfinder. Even awkward solutions like "I'm Back" are drawing money:

Get digital images and video with an "old times" flavour...

Back