Sony New Sony A1 Flagship Camera

I'm glad that my "dream" Sony camera is "only" the much less expensive A9 II. But I'll never own that, either.
I though you were looking at the A7C. The A1 only has a 0.64” EVF with 9.44 M dots, 0.9 magnification, and a 25 mm eye point. I’m sure you can’t tell the difference with the A7C EVF in real world situations. Especially if that world is Venus.

Last edited:
So glad that I got out of GAS in time.

I'm stilling waiting for my Tamron 17-70 2.8 to ship. In case anyone's interested in (the scarcity of) this lens, I was told that the batch shipped yesterday (in China) was the last one before the coming Spring Festival, and the amount of the batch was 90 copies.

The a1 release leaves me wondering how long before we can have the technology in more affordable line of bodies.

You have to admit Sony must be a bitch with which to compete. Not a huge body but, dang, this thing has all the trimmings. Stunning EVF, amazing AF and great RAW files, and I'm not even talking about the video specs. No wonder so many pros are switching to the alpha series. It's become what only Nikon and Canon used to be. A camera you can rely on to do the job when you have to get the picture.

I saw a sample of the 8K video. There was a woman in the video, and, to be honest, the close-ups were more medical school than fashion model. There's only so much clarity you really want in a human face. JMHO, of course.

I saw a sample of the 8K video. There was a woman in the video, and, to be honest, the close-ups were more medical school than fashion model. There's only so much clarity you really want in a human face. JMHO, of course.
most people shooting even in 4k are doing it for cropping and downsampling purposes. It just gives a lot more file to do things with in post for the final product.

Over the weekend a friend and I were out at a local wildlife refuge. We were stopped along a canal where a lot of birds were gathered with a lot of other photographers. I’m shooting a Z7ii with a 200-500 attached. This older gent walks up to me and asks, ”is that the 200-500? I had that lens when I used Nikon.” I noticed a Canon in his hand and commented that he moved to Canon. He then told me he was only using it to put up a guide on his blog and that he has switched to Sony because “it’s the best.” I replied that best is subjective. He quickly snapped, “No, it’s a fact.“ It was at this moment my opinion of most Internet reviews was validated, in that they are worth exactly what we pay for them.

Bottom line, enjoy your photography and be careful who you listen to.

Over the weekend a friend and I were out at a local wildlife refuge. We were stopped along a canal where a lot of birds were gathered with a lot of other photographers. I’m shooting a Z7ii with a 200-500 attached. This older gent walks up to me and asks, ”is that the 200-500? I had that lens when I used Nikon.” I noticed a Canon in his hand and commented that he moved to Canon. He then told me he was only using it to put up a guide on his blog and that he has switched to Sony because “it’s the best.” I replied that best is subjective. He quickly snapped, “No, it’s a fact.“ It was at this moment my opinion of most Internet reviews was validated, in that they are worth exactly what we pay for them.

Bottom line, enjoy your photography and be careful who you listen to.
Watch enough review videos and you will soon see which are heavily biased and which are more balanced.

Thanks to A1 release, used A9's are selling at $1800 a piece at FM and Sony is running sales again on the bodies after a month... Competition is increasing on the high end cameras with market getting smaller...
Awesome! I'd love to buy another A9 mk.I , it's the best bang-for-buck mirrorless action camera!

I probably won't since I still have a very good A7III as my backup. Also I like having at least one USB type-C body in the Sony kit. It charges faster and works faster for data transfers and charging the camera using a power bank (less fiddly). That's the only thing I wish the A9 mk. I instead of USB 2.0. The A9 mk.II has USB type-C, but it probably won't drop in price until the mk. III body is released.

I’m a little tempted by the A7C because the tracking CAF looks so good for grandkids. I’m hoping the A7iv has it.
I've been thinking about the A7C as well, but I'm not sure I want to give up my dual card slots and bigger evf. I did that when I shot M43, switching from the EM5II to the Pen-F. Afterwards I found I actually preferred the EVF hump!

Surely someone around here has an A1 by now?

After waiting and watching through the initial hullabaloo and first rush of people getting their hands on the A1, I finally was able to get one at the end of August. Love this camera -- it is phenomenal! Way above my skill set in some respects and that is good, it keeps me on my toes and challenges me, pushes me outside the old comfort zone and urges me not to be sloppy and careless when I shoot, as it will reveal every little last flaw in my technique. When I get things right, the results are terrific. This camera has a touch of magic in it somewhere.....

Back