PMLynch Photography

Name
Patrick M lynch
New to posting here too. As for new to JPGs, just to having that be my original file. I just bought an X-Pro2. Now I want another one. Managed to get it just before a short vacation to the mountains of NC . Although I shot in RAW for some stock photos to send off I mostly shot jpgs in Acros using the film simulation bracket. A, Ar, Ag. After some late experimenting I should of just used yellow for most of my subjects.

I was impressed. For some images I went a bit heavy on the Highlight and Shadow Tones so I ended up deleting some work. For the most part I believe living in the negative values gives you a better histogram and more information that you can later make to look as contrasty as you like. I wanted to see how much I could do in camera and limit after processing. SOOC is a myth to me but no offense to anyone who shoots for that. I believe an image can always benefit to be tweaked and even if you just remove a dust spot it is no longer SOOC and you are again saving the image. Just save a Tiff and edit all you want, make your jpgs from that.

Maybe it would be nice to have the raw files and yo make my Acros files in camera (way to much button pushing) Or maybe have the RAW files and be able to make my B&Ws from those. The flexibility and control is certainly there but the look would be different and the process much different. There is something about shooting in B&W jpg and I do love the Acros.

I think I will shoot like this more often depending on subject and need. Another image made it to the front of my web page. A small waterfall
Stranded Yellow Leaf e.jpg

Welcome Patrick.

That is a beautiful image in both composition and rendition.

Like you I have an X-Pro2 and like you I love the Acros setting. I tend to shoot .jpg+raw just to give myself the option of a different final rendition but 99.9% of my raw "development" is done with the in-camera software. You might find that a viable option for you too although it should be pointed out that it stops you doing film simulation bracketing at the same time.

Welcome, Patrick. Excellent photo.

Another X-Pro 2 shooter, I go back and forth between raw or jpg depending on what I am shooting. Tonight I am shooting a huge zombie walk and I am going to shoot raw+jpg to the second card. Probably doing the jpg's in a S/CC/Ay bracket. Fuji has come up with that intangible magic something with the Pro2 that some cameras have. Like the Canon 5D or Nikon D700. In Fuji's case, especially when shooting raw or Acros JPG.

I do agree that all photos can benefit with post tweaking. But not all photos need it. Some things are just good snaps out of the camera. And other times I photos that I don't want to put the editing time into. Which is one of the big pluses of shooting Fuji. The jpg's are really good.

I'm a bit confused; why wouldn't all you Fuji owners be doing most of your processing in camera with those wonderful and unique settings? It's a huge reason for me heavily considering jumping into the system, yet I find at least one prominent member here using Silver Effects Pro, stating that to be the best way for dealing with Fuji files. If that's the case, it sort of negates my justification to the wife for spending money on camera(s) and we can't have that can we.

Everyone has different work flows. I'm not about to cull and edit an event or wedding shoot in camera. It would be enough to drive a person mad. Not to mention the rear LCD is too small for that.

The walk-around shots, sure. In camera raw conversions, or just shooting jpg is great.

Everyone has different work flows. I'm not about to cull and edit an event or wedding shoot in camera. It would be enough to drive a person mad. Not to mention the rear LCD is too small for that.

The walk-around shots, sure. In camera raw conversions, or just shooting jpg is great.
Yeah, that's where I'm coming from, walk around shots.

I'm a bit confused; why wouldn't all you Fuji owners be doing most of your processing in camera with those wonderful and unique settings? It's a huge reason for me heavily considering jumping into the system, yet I find at least one prominent member here using Silver Effects Pro, stating that to be the best way for dealing with Fuji files. If that's the case, it sort of negates my justification to the wife for spending money on camera(s) and we can't have that can we.

This is exactly my finding after trying to mimic Fuji Jpeg or even top the look and feel in re-process with Lightroom and other RAW developers. I've learned myself to use Fuji settings to get the 'right' Jpeg straight from the camera. And if I sometimes want a variation, I develop the Raw in camera. (And as mentioned already above, this doesn't work for all workflows and image work.)

But now I'm happy, straightforward workflow fulfilling my photography needs. (*Sigh*, I still plan to repeat the exercise with my Olympus Pen E-P5, though)

Something else to keep in mind, is that editing programs like Silver Efx and Color Efx from Nik are specialty programs which offer editing tools not found anywhere else, including in camera. I will run an image through Color Efx just for the superior contrast controls.

I use silver effects as well. After a bit more experimenting I am not as in love with acros as I initially thought. Although it is nice I find I get a better grain by outputting a raw file with photo Ninja and using Adobe Camera RAW on a tif to add grain. It seems like variations of workflows are endless. The experimenting can exceed that of film.

Back