Leica New (to me) M9

asiafish

All-Pro
Name
Andrew
Just bought a used M9 (black paint) off Fred Miranda forum. $3500 shipped. Camera is described as like-new, with only 1225 actuations and all packaging/accessories plus a Thumbs up (with hot shoe extension) and extra battery.

After walking all over Germany and Austria with the Canon 6D and 24-105 zoom I decided that what felt light and nimble enough walking around locally was far too bulky and heavy overseas. I also found that I very rarely shot at any focal lengths other than 24mm and 50mm with a few shots at 105mm. The M9 with 24 and 50mm lenses would likely have covered the entire trip just as well and I possibly could have pulled it off with just the 35mm lens.

Next time it will be the M9 with the 24mm on the body, 35 and 50mm lenses in pockets, at night swap the M9 out for the Monochrom and if on a bus or taking a taxi, bring both.

Last year's vacation- M9, 35/1.7; 50/1.5; and 105/2.5 got all the use. Vacation pictures are for fun, family, and friends- color seems to suit it best. The 105 got a lot of use, I like the speed and focal length: but the 90/4 Elmar is much lighter and would have done well.

This year- I will probably repeat the combo, with the Df and Monochrom staying home.

I'll probably bring either just the 35/2.5 or the 24/3.8, 50 (not sure which, Cron or Sonnor) and the 90/2.5 Summarit. I probably shot 50% of my pictures at 24mm this time as there was just so much beauty in every direction.

The whole spirit of M seems to me to be about tiny lenses with 39mm filters. I have the CV 21, Elmarit ASPH 28 and CV 90 f3.5 all tiny lenses taking 39 mm filters. I also find the Sonnar whilst 46mm thread is surprisingly light and compact for an f1.5 so its become my go to general purpose lens (love the thing). I think all 4 of my lenses add up to about 850g which is pretty remarkable considering the lack of plastic.

My current collection of 39mm thread lenses:
35mm f/2.5 Summarit and 50mm f/2 Summicron, just those two.

For 40.5mm filters I have a Jupiter 3, a wartime Zeiss 5cm f/2 Sonnar and pre-war Zeiss 5cm f/1.5, but all three have 40.5 to 46mm step-up rings on them.

46mm threads are the 24mm f/3.8 Elmar asph and 90mm f/2.5 Summarit.

I let the modern C Sonnar and the 1949 Summitar go.

Congrats, Andrew. The initial purchase price will fade away, the quality of the camera will last.for a long, long time. :)

Of course, I already forgot each and every dollar that I paid for the M Monocrhom, though I vividly remember the Harley-Davidson V-ROD I had to sell to get them.

As a Monochrom owner I know exactly what I'm getting with the M9, and with such a low shutter count it was an excellent deal.

The 35 Summarit is even smaller.

Summarit Stats:

• Length to bayonet flange - approx. 33.9 mm
  • Largest diameter - approx. 51.4 mm / 2.02 in
  • Weight - approx. 220 g / 7.76 oz
Summilux II pre-ASPH

• Dimensions diameter - 46.5 mm / 1.83 in
  • Weight - 245 g /8.64 oz

The Summarit is just a bit lighter but then the Summilux may have a little more metal. Plus its a couple stops faster.

Amazing for such an old design.

Attachments

• photo (2).jpg
    photo (2).jpg
    470.9 KB · Views: 127
Summarit Stats:

• Length to bayonet flange - approx. 33.9 mm
  • Largest diameter - approx. 51.4 mm / 2.02 in
  • Weight - approx. 220 g / 7.76 oz
Summilux II pre-ASPH

• Dimensions diameter - 46.5 mm / 1.83 in
  • Weight - 245 g /8.64 oz

The Summarit is just a bit lighter but then the Summilux may have a little more metal. Plus its a couple stops faster.

Amazing for such an old design.

Sorry, I was looking at the modern Summilux FLE. That older one really is tiny!!!

M9 with 35/1.4 Summilux plus a CV 25/4 as my only lenses in Italy for 17 days. It was a great experience. The fast Lux allowed me to use low ISO settings in the M9.

M9 with 35/1.4 Summilux plus a CV 25/4 as my only lenses in Italy for 17 days. It was a great experience. The fast Lux allowed me to use low ISO settings in the M9.

I can see using my f/1.5 Sonnar quite often on the M9 for just that reason. On the M Monochrom I don't have to think about lens speed much and usually don't even worry about using a yellow or orange filter indoors on slower lenses. With the M9 my Auto ISO is set to top out at 800, so it will be unfiltered and wide-open.

Back