New to Serious Compacts

Lawrence A.

Hall of Famer
Name
Larry
Hi, my name is Larry and I've been active at mu-43 for some months, under the same name, Lawrence A., that I use here. Having just reacquired the XZ-1 at the dirt cheap Amazon $199, I figured I'd join. While most of my photographing is with my E-M5 and various film cameras, I like having a "take anywhere" option for those times I just do not want to carry any case, even a small one. Thus the XZ-1, which I shoot raw, converting to 16 bit tiffs in lightroom before any other conversions. If I need a jpeg, I take it from the tiff. For film the wonderful old Olympus XA accomplishes the same purpose.

The reason I got rid of my first XZ-1 is that I did not like the jpegs and did not trust Olympus Studio to get me the files I wanted. I was going to take a trip, so opted for another m4/3 body, which I financed with the sale of the compact. Now that I am using Lightroom 4 regularly, I went back and revisited some of the old files from my original XZ-1, and developing the raw files in that program. A much better result with a real, full service raw developer. I like what I see, and for many purposes the files from this camera will do just fine.

I've been hanging around these pages since Amin included a link to Serious Compacts at the top of mu-43.com. I knew I wanted another high grade point and shoot, and have been researching some options both here and other places around the net. The RX100 interested me, but I really find I need an eye-level finder, and I already have the VF2 EVF for my EP-2, so the XZ-1 was a natural option. The Fuji X10 was very interesting to me. Finally, a lay-off notice and Amazon's price for the XZ-1 settled me on that camera. I'm pleased.

I look forward to "meeting" some of you and exchanging ideas and pictures. I'm sure your newer toys will give me awful GAS, but I'm safe from acting out on it until I am once again gainfully employed.

I love the older D-lux 4, and defintely plan on replacing the one I sold to buy my E-P2. With all its limitations, like the limited zoom range, I still just love that camera.

Back